Omaha poker? your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Cards & Board Games' started by dDave, Jan 12, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

After the tournament for the Wii back in December the first thing that I did was go and play Omaha poker in the poker room, honestly that was the first time that I had ever played Omaha in my life. I kind of prefer hold 'em over Omaha just because there are less possibilities and it is a lot harder to play just because of all of the possible cards that the other people can have, in a 10 player game you get to use 45 cards of the deck so it makes it a very bad chance that you are going to get a good hand.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Omaha is a lot more complicated. I've only played it a few times though, so I don't really know any of the strategy. I definitely like Hold 'Em better, but it's still fun to play other stuff once in a while to change things up.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

If you want to try something different from Texas Hold Em, I suggest some form of 7 Card Stud. Whether it's regular 7 card stud or Stud Hi/Lo.

Omaha is fun, but I dont like it as much as hold em and stud.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Stud is fun, as well as Omaha. We have both of them here but everybody usually wants to play Texas. I'm up for mixing it up some if other people are. :)

5. neum985

neum985 I pwn noobs

Omaha is for people that really understand the way to play holdem. You really have to be able to fold alot of flush's and str8's if the board pairs. Its a tough game alot of times

6. Millz

I definitely agree...

Omaha is a really annoying game to play IMO. Not that it's bad, but its very hard to know what the other person has. Ace high flushes just dont always win. I play holdem and stud a lot on pokerstars and whenever I really want to challenge myself, I'll play Omaha. Its tough.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Isn't Omaha where you get 5 cards instead of 2, but you have to pick 2 to use? I think I've played that a while back. I didn't like it as much.

8. Millz

You're close...you get 4 down cards instead of 2 and you can only use 2 of those and you use 3 of the community. The community is the same as it is in hold em.

9. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I don't really like Omaha poker. I haven't played it much because I would rather play Texas Hold 'em.

10. Brandon77

Brandon77 Registered Member

I think it takes more luck and less skill than holdem. Omaha is a great kind of poker, but I will always take holdem when given the choice. In my mind it is a little bit easier but at the same time, takes a lot more skill. There's less waiting around for a good hand and more action. Omaha has too much checking in it and can be kind of annoying how slow it goes.

It's fun every now and then, just for kicks, but as far as tourneys go and all that, holdem is always the way to go - plus, it's just more popular in general.

I wonder if the reason texas holdem triumphs over Omaha poker is because texas had a greater population to get behind it and run with it, whereas Omaha is a rather small city in comparison with texas as a whole - and those texans, they're pretty proud to be texans - so anything with the name texas on it is pretty much a shoe in.

I should start a company and just call it texas somewhere in the title. Texans, for those who don't know, are very loyal to their home state, unlike south dakotans or idahoans. They would buy my stuff simply out of sheer loyalty and texas pride, and I'd make millions. Someone who started Texas Instruments knows what they are doing. Who could sell a calculator for over $100 without putting the name texas on it? No one. Absolutely no one. It's genious marketing in every sense of the word. I'll make millions along with them.