• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oldschool Oldschool Games Review Club?

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's an interesting idea I just had.

Say we all pulled out our old Nintendo 64 consoles and started playing them again.

We would each sign up for a game to play from start to finish in no longer than two weeks or so and then we would proceed to post a lengthy review for the game that we picked.

Only one person per title.

I think this would be a great way to revive the N64 section which has been dead for years.

Who's in?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Would it involve playing games that we already own? Or buying games that we've never played before? I might be up for either, depending on how pricey N64 games are these days. I think it would be fun if we picked out random games that none of us has played before, and then we play through them together and post our reviews.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was thinking that we could go for games that we already own at first (it'd still be fun).

Heck, I could play Goldeneye since I never actually finished it even on the easiest difficulty. :lol:

I'm willing to do whatever though. N64 = a good thing no matter what.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How have you never finished Goldeneye before? And you call yourself an N64 fan. :lol:

Anyway, I was just thinking blind play throughs (not literally blind, but games we've never played) would be more fun and better for reviewing purposes. Game we already own we probably already like and it wouldn't make sense to play them again to review them. I like getting first impressions.

dDave

V.I.P.
How have you never finished Goldeneye before? And you call yourself an N64 fan. :lol:

Anyway, I was just thinking blind play throughs (not literally blind, but games we've never played) would be more fun and better for reviewing purposes. Game we already own we probably already like and it wouldn't make sense to play them again to review them. I like getting first impressions.
Well I've played the game a LOT, especially in multiplayer. I've also played through the entire campaign several times on the easiest difficulty only to be stopped at Cradle twice. I haven't touched the game in years though and I think it'd be an appropriate game for me to play. I played Perfect Dark a lot though, in my opinion the game is just better because it builds upon what Goldeneye started.

I am a Nintendo 64 fan, you know that. :lol:

Otherwise I could start with something easy and play Jet Force Gemini (which I love) or Donkey Kong 64 (which I also flat out love)

Zenheizer

needs practice
dDave I wish we were childhood friends because we love the exact same games.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'd be down for this. However, I suck at reviewing things, so if I participate in this I would need someone to set down a guideline for me on how to do a review so I can just put my opinions where they're supposed to go, and what all I'm supposed to have an opinion about.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I probably haven't touched Goldeneye or Perfect Dark in 10 years. They were a couple of my favorite games, but the controls are terrible after playing newer shooters with two analog sticks. Actually, I find the controls for most N64 games to be almost unusable now. Even when I was playing DK64 it felt really imprecise and clunky.

dDave

V.I.P.
dDave I wish we were childhood friends because we love the exact same games.
Right? I'm only 20 but I had older brothers. Most people my age don't particularly love N64.

I'd be down for this. However, I suck at reviewing things, so if I participate in this I would need someone to set down a guideline for me on how to do a review so I can just put my opinions where they're supposed to go, and what all I'm supposed to have an opinion about.
I can definitely do that for you. Making a basic template would be pretty easy.

I probably haven't touched Goldeneye or Perfect Dark in 10 years. They were a couple of my favorite games, but the controls are terrible after playing newer shooters with two analog sticks. Actually, I find the controls for most N64 games to be almost unusable now. Even when I was playing DK64 it felt really imprecise and clunky.
Yeah, the older shooters have single stick controls (though the C buttons can be used to simulate a second stick) that's why I jumped on the opportunity to get Perfect Dark on XBLA.

Here's another idea. We could all play the same game and post our own reviews. We could then have a discussion about what we liked, what we didn't like, tho ga we would have done differently, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 0
ysabel Movies & TV 2
ysabel Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 10