Old-School Moves vs. New-School Moves

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Unity, Feb 10, 2010.

?

Old-school moves or New-school moves in wrestling??

1. Old School: Classic wrestling is classic for a reason.

12.5%
  2. New School: Stop living in the past and innovate already!

12.5%
  3. Both: The best stuff comes from a balanced move-set.

75.0%
  1. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Lately, I've been really appreciating some of the simpler, old-school types of moves. I think it's easy to get caught up in the Canadian Destroyers of the wrestling world (not that I don't love the newer, crazy moves. I mark at them constantly and prefer them more most of the time).

I just think it's important to remember to appreicate moves like the sleeper hold, etc. I've especially thought of it with Dolph Ziggler's recent use of it. I think it would be an awesome accompanying move for him to use when not using the Zig-Zag. It works. When you think about it, the sleeper is really a high pressure choke-like submission. Simple, but badass.

So my question is, do you find older-school moves to be exciting? Boring and outdated? If exciting, what types of moves do you like?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I like the middle ground personally. I've always been a firm believer in all aspects of entertainment, enjoyment, and life that Less is always more.

When I see the simple moves that take no more than 2 maybe 3 seconds to finish that usually feels the best to me. Something like the Stunner for instance. Kick to the groin, head to the shoulders. Nothing more nothing less but it looks fantastic.

I also agree that its to bad more Submissions like the Sleeper hold arent used as Finishers as often as they should be. I absolutely loved the altered Boston Crab that Jericho Used in the Walls of Jericho. Or the sideways hybrid camel clutch that Benoit used in the Crippler Crossface. Hell even for that matter when Shamrock used to do the Ankle Lock, that was always something I felt couldnt get much more simpler but yet super effective. Anyone thats had a real ankle lock put on them can agree....it doesnt take much for that puppy to cause real pain.

But in the long run I still cant say I preferred all the oldschool moves...because if you think about it most of them were nothing more than flashy DDT's, maybe a Sitting Pile Driver, or Belly to Belly suplexes. However I will always agree that to much in the New School stuff just looks stupid. The blending of the two however has always fell perfect with me. Quick and Effective, no need to showboat in front of them..... do it over top of their body ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I like a little of everything. It could get boring without any of the newer moves, but some of the older moes keep the matches grounded and not completely ridiculous.

I voted for both.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

While I like both I love old school wrestling moves more, the belly to belly suplex, the pile driver (I remember putting my brother in a pile driver on my mom's bed as a kid:lol:) and who doesn't love Flair's Figure Four?

5. Unity

Haha your poor brother, Cap'n! lol pile-drivers are defintiely deadly!

The Figure-Four is another painful movie..just think about wrapping the leg in that position and just pulling outward. Yeouch.

6. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

A bit of both actually, moves that are out dated get boring real fast, if it's a combo of the two than why the heck not lol.

Lulz at the piledriver to your bro haha, I powerbombed my brother onto the trampoline once lol.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Trust me I've been in the figure 4 leglock and it hurts like hell. So does the Sharpshooter and the Texas Cloverleaf. The Cloverleaf and Sharpshooter hurt much more then the Boston Crab or half crab because of the positioning of the legs. They pretty much rub on each other...bone on bone. Not fun.

I like the good school stuff but the new school stuff is awesome too. Like most everything, stuff needs to evolve. I'll vote for both because they both have a place in the industry.

8. Unity

So to those who haven't specified, what are some of your favorite new/old school moves? I'm thinking we should all start giving a list somewhat like this:

Old School Moves:

New School Moves:

I'll post mine at some point today, don't have time right now! :)

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I like a bit of both as well, old school moves can't go away because their part of the history of the wrestling business. But on the other hand it's nice to see some new moves that we haven't seen performed yet, especially when there done properly.

Also Millz is right, every submission you see on television hurt like a bitch, and I speak from experience.

10. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I've mentioned some of the old school ones but new school I like...

Canadian Destroyer
    450 Splash
    Shooting Star Press
    Starship Pain

To name a few