• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Old and Misunderstood Movies

Friend6

Registered Member
Some of my favorite movies are old and often misunderstood.
Some of the people at my school don't understand why I bother with movies older than 2000, well they just don't understand! Some of the BEST movies are at least 30 years old!
Back in the 80's people made UNIQUE movies, they didn't just repeat the same old crap over and over again. They thought about what they did. Now I'm not claiming that the new movies are bad, but one mustn't discriminate against a movie just because its old.
Take for example Night Breed, made in 1990 even back then it was misunderstood.
The director, also the creator, had to deal with the studio and many other factors including misconseptions and poor reveiws. Because of it uniquie aproch it was determined to be too "discusting" and so was sold to people who were lower class. Most people don't even know what this movie was about. These movies have been relitivly forgotten, passed up for graffic, senastional movies full of special effects. What I am trying to say is:
To those people already versed in these movies, congrates on breaking the sterotypes and finding quilty in the masses.
To those people who pass these movies up because "there too old" or "the graffics are shit" than I recomend you discover the greatness in these movies and if not....go screw yourself.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree new ideas in movies are pretty slim anymore. They are remakes of older movies or their idea came from an older movie. Not all new movies are bad but it seems like they traded computerized special effects for acting abilities in some of them.

Also if its not the type of movie you like to watch your not going to like it no matter how much someone else does, its personal taste.

Alta

Registered Member
It's hard to come up with new story arcs for movies. I would have trouble coming up with a plot that deviates from the 20 some basic plot lines that exist in storytelling.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
It's hard to come up with new story arcs for movies. I would have trouble coming up with a plot that deviates from the 20 some basic plot lines that exist in storytelling.
I disagree, I happen to think people are just getting lazy. I do not wish to dump on the US or indeed the film makers of the US but I am likely to do so. The problem with a lot of films these days and indeed the film going public is that some people do not like to be challenged in their minds, they like to have things spelt out for them. There are of course exceptions such as films like The Matrix, Inception but these films are very few and fair between.

There are good films out there, you just need to be prepared to look around not rely on main stream cinemas to show you the way.

Friend6

Registered Member
I hate how they keep recycling fairytales. Snow White & the Huntsmen, Grimm (although I like this-It has a great twist), Once Upon a Time (also good but a bit repeditive) etc