• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Olbermann suspended?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Olbermann suspended for democrat campaign contributions?

Funniest part of the article: In a subsequent show, Olbermann also pressed House Majority Whip James Clyburn if there was a “legislative response” to a networks that “starts to shill for partisan causes.”

What, like MSNBC?!

UPDATE: Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Are you kidding me? Why, because NBC's bias is somehow now revealed :lol:

Is the Democrat media imploding? Have they put a wet finger to the wind and found their ratings blowing the away? Will they try to out-fox Fox? :lol:

What do you think?

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I think that Olbermann made some political contributions and was suspended as a result. Your analysis, frankly, reads to me like schtick.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
You mean as referenced in the first line of the OP and the linked article? I saw their rationalization, I wonder if there is more to it.

Who cares who these guys donate to anyway? Their bias is already apparent, I don't see what is unethical about publicly donating to candidates. I would rather that they were honest about it then to try to hide behind some facade of impartiality.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Obviously he violated his employer's rules so I have no problem with his suspension. I find it hypocritical for him to criticize those that have contributed though since he has as well. There is a difference though in his expample and calling out Fox News. CNN and Fox News can contribute to whomever they want. He and Bill O'Reilly are employees and since they have opionion shows and can use their respective shows to sway voters it's better that they adhere to this ethics policy. So at least everyone knows up front who they do and do not contribute to.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I agree it is their right to suspend him, and I don't care to see him on TV. But it seems stupid to me, unless he was trying to hide the fact he did it. I really wonder what is going on behind the scene. I wonder if there is more to it and that will come out later.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love how the reason was totally missed.

He didn't clear it with NBC. They don't care if their employees donate, they want to know about it first though which is fairly understandable. I'm sure if Sean Hannity dropped 10k on a democrat FOX may shit themselves (although he did drop 10K on Michelle Bachman in lieu of his refusal to donate to veterans). Olbermann is still a clown but hey, you break the rules you pay the price.

Usually.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
For the second time, the reason wasn't missed. I dismissed it as a possible "cover" story for something more significant. Like they are saying this so Olbermann can save face and leave under this excuse, rather than have something more personally embarrassing come out.

Like maybe he was drunk and offered Obama a blow job and was rejected, but Biden accepted or something along those lines (joke) :lol:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
For the second time, the reason wasn't missed. I dismissed it as a possible "cover" story for something more significant. Like they are saying this so Olbermann can save face and leave under this excuse, rather than have something more personally embarrassing come out.

Like maybe he was drunk and offered Obama a blow job and was rejected, but Biden accepted or something along those lines (joke) :lol:
I've heard Olbermann has mental issues. I'm not calling him names, I mean real diagnosed problems that need help. Maybe this was the cover to let him go.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah I didn't miss it either. I clearly stated he violated his employer's rules, not notifying them first. There are policy reasons behind that, but I wouldn't say they don't care if they donate. I just find it hypocritical for calling out Fox News for their contributions when he contributed himself.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I just find it hypocritical for calling out Fox News for their contributions when he contributed himself.
I still don't know how this get's used as a comeback. People get pissed when people at FOX donate because they pretend to be fair and balanced. I can't recall any real accusations being thrown at Olberman for pretending to be completely neutral in his commentaries. It's in FOX's slogan for crying out loud! If they just stopped their charade of pretend non-partisanship and didn't worry so much about labeling themselves so, people wouldn't care . . . which would also mean people wouldn't watch.

Marketing, people, marketing!