• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oklahoma scientists say earthquakes linked to fracking

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
Oklahoma geologists have documented strong links between increased seismic activity in the state and the injection into the ground of wastewater from oil and gas production, a state agency said on Tuesday.
Oklahoma scientists say daily earthquakes are linked to the oil and gas industry

Oklahoma has went from lest than 2 earthquakes a year before 2008 to more than that in one day. I would say there is a link between fracking and earthquakes. Either that or something major and earth shattering, excuse the pun, is going on under their feet.

Of course the oil and gas industry thinks more studies should be done. I guess the ground hasn't cracked open under their feet yet.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No they don't, the quote from the OGS says "it is very likely a majority of earthquakes" which means 1) not all of them, 2) it is more likely than not, in other words it can't be proved conclusively. Thus more studies should be done.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
A 30,000% (!) increase in the number of earthquakes over a seven year period that correlates to the increase in fracking over the same period is pretty strong evidence. I'm not sure how it could even be refuted. The oil and gas companies should be held liable for whatever damage is being done by in increase in earthquakes.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It's strong evidence that there is a link, sure. But if we're going to hold someone liable I think it has to be more conclusive.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
More conclusive than a 30,000% increase? That's the same kind of defense the tobacco industry used to fight claims that smoking is harmful. I don't think it can get more conclusive than that unless a note falls from the heavens that says fracking is causing the earthquakes.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No, there was direct scientific proof smoking can cause cancer. Even the study says "it is very likely". They didn't say "there is a direct causal connection" or "there is inconclusive proof". I'm not a genealogist. I don't study earthquakes and their frequency. Because of that I don't know if there are other plausable explanations. I do agree if there is some conclusive evidence, then by all means penalties should be enacted.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
"The drilling technique known as hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” generates large amounts of wastewater. But the OGS report said fracking is responsible for only “a small percentage of the total volume of wastewater injected into disposal wells in Oklahoma.”

I don't get this. So fracking generates large amounts of wastewater, but this report says fracking is responsible for only a small percentage of the total volume of wastewater injected into disposal wells in Oklahoma. So if it accounts for only a small percentage how could it have this alleged effect?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Scientists have been sounding that alarm for years. Nobody cares. Nobody will care until vast swaths of land crumble into the magma below. The whole point of fracking is to break up shale layers that just so happen to provide geological structural stability in many regions, oh, and apparently to pollute ground water. It is the most inefficient and ecologically damaging means of energy production ever conceived. I've been railing against it from virtually the beginning, but now I embrace it, along with deep sea drilling, nuclear power, and everything else the world embraces that will ultimately lead to disaster on an epic scale. Hooray for epic disaster! Pointless death, destruction, and suffering! We, the people, give our blessing for corporations to poison us and create havoc in the name of profit (apparently).

Whether it's the Asian tsunami (triggered by the collapse of a huge coastal oil reservoir), or Fukashima, or the BP oil spill and the even worse ones to come off the East coast of Canada & the US, or the eventual release of a sour gas plume over a populated area. I am confident that we will continue to thoroughly FUBAR this planet and slaughter hordes of regular people minding their own business, people just like us, if we continue to work together toward that end. Together, we can do it!

What society accepts, society condones.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its pretty clear that fracking causes earthquakes. Anyplace that has fracking has earthquakes even though they never had them before or many more than they were having. The only thing that is not clear is if its fracking itself or the injection of waste water deep into the earth.

BigBob

Registered Member
Looking at the statistics in Pennsylvania since 2008, I can say that there's been a huge increase in documented earthquakes and assume it is cause by fracking.

However, looking at where the earthquakes occurred, only 3 of the 26 have occurred anywhere near a fracking zone and only one of the three occurred in a major fracking zone.