• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oklahoma 5.6 earthquake & fracking

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I thought the house would shake apart this morning when we got slammed by a 5.6 earthquake. It was the strongest earthquake in Oklahoma history and the epicenter was in the area where a lot of the fracking is happening. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission ordered 35 waste water wells shut down. I thought the issues were solved when they restricted fracking in 2011 but maybe the changes can't be fixed. I so hope this region doesn't turn into another California.
Oklahoma earthquake rattles six surrounding states - CNN.com

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The first thing I thought was it was probably caused by fracking when I heard about it this morning. I have to wonder how big of a quake can be caused by fracking and if its going to be worth the damage it could cause to the infrastructure and water supply. Not to mention people's homes.

Happy you are alright.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The first thing I thought was it was probably caused by fracking when I heard about it this morning. I have to wonder how big of a quake can be caused by fracking and if its going to be worth the damage it could cause to the infrastructure and water supply. Not to mention people's homes.

Happy you are alright.
Thanks. :) The only casualty was my pants.
Oklahoma had maybe 2 earthquakes per year before fracking and nothing serious. Now there's 2 earthquakes per day.
1/4 of all jobs in Oklahoma is oil-field related. I thought that was only true in Russia but no. Also, Oklahoma infrastructure and buildings are not earthquake proof so if it gets worse there could be a total disaster. The state needs to diversify the industries before that can happen.
Fracking Increases Oklahoma Earthquakes from Two a Year to Two a Day

Nobody needs rocket science to see the link between fracking and earthquakes.