OK , Someone please explain these High Profile Auctions on ebay....

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by mart1, May 24, 2005.

1. mart1

mart1 Registered Member

Even though I have been doing ebay for several years, just recently have I heard about pulse & the type of auctions it has !! How in the world does one do these things?? Just list & hope , or list with a gimmick? I have been reading & looking at many of the other members ebay items, and I am curious !! Do people really pay that kind of money when there is no guarrantee that what they are bidding on is worth it??? I mean I looked at the extra terrestrial that was evidently dried, and it looked rather like a dead squid to me !! (things take on a rather unusual appearance after mummification). Do people not get mad if what they thought they were buying is not what it turns out to be ???? Please educate me on these things !! I have not been here long enough to learn all I should !!!! And I hope I am posting this in the right forum so if it isn`t,,, I apologize !!!

2. Jonnywildboar

Jonnywildboar New Member

for every 1 wierd item that gathers interest there are 50 that go under the radar - some amount to begging others have 5 mystery auctions on the go at once, i cant imagine ANY having more money in them that the auctionfinished on, others will have a couple of 'break even' mystery auctions, get the feedback than go for a biggie - ie make a ton of dosh from some person chasing the dollar,

I cant believe people think they are gonna get a bag full of cash for a few 100 bucks

they are fun to watch though

3. kromsales

kromsales Registered Member

I have never did a mystery auction that was not real. I did a tube one. I put the money in it before I listed. Then wrote up a listing and listed. It didnt do great but the buyer was pleased with the outcome. I accually lost quite a bit of money on it. I have not since done one. There are many that are fake but there are many that are NOT in any means a fake. There have been memeber here on this site that have done honest and true ones. I think for us , the ones who do the auctions its more about the Fun in doing them than making the money. Others its all about making money.

4. mart1

mart1 Registered Member

I do not mean that they are not real, I just would like to understand the process !! Some are just ok while some go like hotcakes !! What makes the difference? And just how do they become "High Profile"? Is it a listing catagory that makes the difference? Like the "everything else" " and "really wierd" and "totally bizarre" catagories? I also like the fun but lets face it the money pays our internet bills !!!

5. kromsales

kromsales Registered Member

Alot of it depends on how well you write the auction. It has to gain everyones interest or it will go no where. The idea also needs to be good. Something that has been done over and over again is not going to do so well, unless you are the original person to do it. Basically you have to come up with something new, have the money to back it up, have a great writing capiblity, and promote it BIG TIME, then you also need some LUCK ;)

6. mart1

mart1 Registered Member

Have any made it to the most watched? I know that most of it is self promotion !! One has to know how to market it to the buying public. I think I am looking for things that go wrong more than anything else. Also someone said that you have to have the money to back it up !! Are there additional costs involved other than the auction itself?

7. caringlady2

caringlady2 Registered Member

Only thing I have figured out is they advertise the listing outside of ebay! Maybe they have a sight of their own to boost it's reading or maybe they just do what I have started doing...submit the auction to every sight and message board that lists auctions! I still have not pulsed but my hits sky rocketed!

8. mart1

mart1 Registered Member

What do you mean "submit the auction" ?? This is the only auction based forum I am a member of !! I have wondered if there is a place where we can tell in the posts what we sell !! Not individually , of course but in general !! I really just do not see the importance of Pulse !! What do you gain by it ?? Since I do not have a job at the present, I just need to make enough to pay the bills !!! I figure it this way,, if enough people see your auction , someone will want it !! So more hits would help !!!

9. caringlady2

caringlady2 Registered Member

Getting the hits and attention is vry important. I have noticed it is kinda like a popularity contest. It reaaly doesn't matter what they are selling. If the listing catches peoples attention enough with pics or music or an outrageous theme they will bid and bid high. I am still working on coming up with an eye catching one myself but as I do not know how to add music or anything like that the most hits I have gotten is around 500.

Best way for you to find the message boards and sights that list auctions is do a search for weird ebay listings. Or ebay message boards. Some of the ones you find require a fee to be listed others have an area you can post any auction free. The key to most of the pulse items is they are unusual listings.

I do not mean search ebay, I mean do a search with your search engine on your computer with keywords like weird or strange ebay listings.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005