ok i know i'm being anal again, but...

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by mom_of_sixoxo, May 3, 2005.

1. mom_of_sixoxo

mom_of_sixoxo Registered Member

sorry, i just can't stand it anymore...and you did fix "honorable"...
    Take a deep breath. Now we can all breathe easier.
    (well, i was a proofreader at our local newspaper for years...can't help myself) :lol:

2. Msbabedoll

Msbabedoll Registered Member

Man I bet my postings drive you nuts then! LOL

3. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

Think we need to teach Mom "Typonese"! Otherwise known as "I really can't spell but I'm trying to pass it off as a typo" :D

4. Msbabedoll

LMAO!!!! Ohhh so THATS what its called! hehehe

I know that language well SEE!
    <------

5. Msbabedoll

Thats called finger DUI! LOL

6. mom_of_sixoxo

LMAO! you guys are hilarious! i finally know what "typonese" is --benn seein tht here and ther but coudn't figur it out... but anyway, no - it's not postings that bug me (see any CAPS here?) -only when it's in a permanent place, like on the Forum Header...
    so what's it called when you look up to find you've been typing in an alien language cuz your fingers were on the wrong keys??? there should be a name for that too - or is that finger DUI? TUI...

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

But get this, if you sat down at my keyboard, you would see the following:

Row 1: "' <, >. P Y F G C R L ?/ += |\
    Row 2: A O E U I D H T N S _-
    Row 3: :; Q J K X B M W V Z

Long story behind this. Basically, I am currently in the middle of learning the keyboard layout "DVORAK." I get lazy sometimes and since I can still type a lot faster using QWERTY, I switch to that sometimes. Needless to say, my typing speed has quadrupled since doing this, because I can no longer look at the keys (unless I am using DVORAK) since my keyboard looks like DVORAK all the time, even when I am typing QWERTY! :D

If anybody is wondering, I can type 80+ WPM on a good day without looking. :cool:

8. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

WOW, I think Im going to have to try that. I cant really type without looking at the keyboard and use only like 3-4 fingers. I can do it without looking at the keyboard, but then I would get massive typo's and just plain funny spelling errors like LMDAO

9. mom_of_sixoxo

i've heard of that before--and that qwerty was designed as a sales gimmick or something & was not a very efficient layout for the keyboard...but learning a new layout must be a lot like learning a new language? (i don't think my old brain cells could handle the change) i also never learned the top row, so although i don't look at the keys for most typing, for anything that uses numbers & other top row stuff, i do hafta look! i think that night school teacher back in high school felt sorry for me when she passed me with a D...i would've flunked me lol. QUESTION: How did they get the name DVORAK? i sure don't see it on the keys...Also: HOW can you type QWERTY on the DVORAK keyboard? i am so confuseded....

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It was the designer's last name. :)

And really if you want to force yourself to type faster, buy a cheap keyboard, (or to be even cheaper, use your current keyboard), then cut out small pieces of blank paper and tape them over the tops of your keys. (Sharpie or whiteout is quicker, but more permanent..). I just took this idea a step further and printed out a sheet of letters and symbols that I typed up, cut them out, and taped them on. Then when I am feeling like practicing some DVORAK, I can just switch my character map, and go for it. I have to admit though that the idea backfired on me. Instead of wanting to learn DVORAK, now I am just happy that I am typing so much faster, and without looking! :) So if that's your goal, I would definitely suggest this setup. It's also fun because if you are the only person in your house who can type without looking, you are the only one who can use the computer now. :warp: