Oh No! We Suck AGAIN!

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Matriqulated, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

An 0-2 start with the Eagles wouldn't concern me as much in the past, but can anybody tell me why Andy Reid consistenly makes bad decisions during the 2 minute drill? This weeks episode featured an attempt to "ice" the kicker, which never works on a field goal that close, which resulted in the Redskins having enough time to call a pass play in and then the defense gives up 7 points instead of 3. While most of Philly fans might be quick to blame Mcnabb for the loss, I do not. The WR corps has proven that there is no true #1 on the field for the second week straight and that falls on the FO and again the coaching staff. How do you let go of Stallworth and not bring in a servicable replacement? Was he let go merely because he violated the league substance abuse policy? And since the Eagles have zero tolerence for 'character' issues I can assume that they won't bring in Antonio Bryant to help the WR group. The defense has not been all bad, but when the offense is throwing the ball 70% of the time you can expect this group to be tired by the fourth quarter and giving up game determining drives. With the injuries to Brian Dawkins and Lito Sheppard I now have to worry about falling to 0-3 to the DETROIT LIONS. The inabilty to use the running backs as they should be has made me sick for years, but with Mcnabb not being at 100% it is just irrational at this point. I'm going to try and cool off before I finish this rant, but please talk amongst yourselves about this sad state of affairs.

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Well Reid has a lot on his mind. Both his sons are in trouble with the law and one just was recently incarcerated.

Westbrook looked phenomenal (hes my FF RB) Got me 30 some points but McNabb (my FF qb) looked mediocre.

Im sure they will turn it around. I wouldn't be too worried.

3. Matriqulated

Thanx for the positive outlook. I just can't use Reid's sons as an excuse here because the 2 minute drill decisions has been an on going thing since 04. The other tell tale is that when Mcnabb is not in there, they run a balanced attack. The way I see it, the more times Mcnabb has to avoid the rush or scramble the more you have an increase in chances to get injured and close to 70% throwing is a lot. I have Mcnabb in FF too, and my opponent had Akers this week so I lost as a result of the kicker outscoring the QB which just threw salt on the wound. I don't think Mcnabb is 100% but he also didn't turn the ball over which I give him props for because he put the ball in the air a lot last night. As I try to stay calm and collected with it only being week 2, I can't help but flashback to the days of Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, and Fred X dropping the ball. Gives birth to the 3 headed monster, but no Super Bowl appearance. Then they sign TO and march right into the Super Bowl. That doesn't work out so fast forward to run/pass 50/50 for Jeff Garcia when Mcnabb goes down last year, 5 game win streak. Throw the ball 60-65% in playoff game against the Saints and loose. Its like, ok, so throwing 70% of the time works when you have a true #1 at 100% and Mcnabb at 100%, but obviously doesn't when you don't have both of those pieces. Last week at Green bay was 45/55 which I thought made sense because Green Bay had a stiff run defense and the ball was lost on special teams twice. But last night Westbrook had 90 something yards on 17 carries, let him break 100 on the ground!!! If the off the field concerns are what is keeping him from being able to see what I think is pretty obvious then that is a real shame because the writing has been on the wall for at least 2 seasons.
    For the past 3 years here have been my primary reoccuring complaints:
    1. Letting more talent get away than acquired in FA.
    2. Special Teams
    3. Play Calling ( balance and 2 minute scenarios )

4. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Give the ball to Brian Westbrook as often as you can. I know the eagles need to get Donovan good and ready and giving him pass attempts helps with that, but hand it off! Or do more screens for Westbrook.

Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown are okay receivers, Brian Westbrook is a great runningback.

5. Matriqulated

Hell yeah That's what I'm talking about, feed the rock to Westbrook until someone else can get open. If they are stopping Westbrook, then someone has to be open. Also, Buckhalter can run well in between the tackles. I think it is unfair to ask Donovan to run back to back play action passes when there is no commitment to running the football.

6. Millz

Definitely. I think Andy Reid knows he needs to run more, but for some reason doesnt. The way to win is to run because then you can do play action and things of that nature.

Now if the running game is shut down like you mentioned that makes it tougher, but you still have one of the best QBs in the game running the show. LJ Smith is another good weapon I forgot to mention.

PHillys season isnt over, but they need to think about what they want their offense to look like.

7. Matriqulated

I'd like to thank you guys for being positive here. I was in panic mode for most of the day but talking to unbiased fans helped me put this in perspective a bit.

I would like to get to this though: "I think Andy Reid knows he needs to run more, but for some reason doesnt."

I couldn't agree more. Is it simply stubborness, or does he know something that we don't? Is it Westbrooks durability perhaps? Does the offensive line prefer to pass block contrary to popular belief? I've been trying to unravel the mystery on this issue here.

8. Millz

I saw it all the time with Martz in St Louis. He wanted to throw and throw and throw and Reid is the same way sometimes. I dont follow the Eagles like Philly fans do, but I've never heard of Westbrook being undurable. Give him the rock!

9. Lone Eagle

Lone Eagle Registered Member

I really thought the Eagles were gonna win last night. The 'Skins are nothing to write home about but it really looks like McNabb is not effective. Clearly that injury is holding him back but it's to the point where he might be hurting his team by trying to play through it. Maybe he'll get better as the year goes on. Eagles are getting old, Kearse too has lost a few steps. Redskins decently young, Campbell is a good QB. The NFC East is a weird division.

10. Matriqulated

That's funny I compare Reid's obssession with the pass to 'Martzy ball' all the time, the difference is that Martz had Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt. It is a lot more rational to me with those calibur WR.
    As far as Westbrook, I don't think he is "injury prone", but because of his past injuries and size there are plenty of people who will tell you otherwise. I've even seen people post things like "Westbrook is a lock to get injured" and so on... I disagree. I think people see that a guy has had more than one injury and just want to use the term "prone" because it sounds good. The NFL is a full contact league and some injuries will happen, but a guy isn't inury prone to me unless they have a specific injury history or the type of injury that is expected to be aggrivated again. But even if he was, you still have Buckhalter and the Penn State rookie Tony Hunt on the bench to allievate the work load. I think it just comes down to offensive philosophy and choosing the system over the players you actually have to execute that system. Kevin Curtis dropped the same ball around the goal line during the preseason that he did last night, he was just lined up on the opposite side of the center. If the performace from the WR last night wasn't an alarm to get on Westbrook highway for the ride I don't know what is. I was sreaming for more Westbrook after the muffed punt.

Weird is about right, the teams somehow manage to play each other surprisingly well no matter what the gap in talent. Kearse has been hobbling a bit since he got here, but the defensive line is probably the only area that shouldn't be a concern from a depth perspective. Jim Johnsons rotational style keeps guys healthy and this year Darren Howard is on line 2 which says a lot to me about the depth at DE. Defensive backs on the other hand, not so deep. Again, if these Eagles can't control the clock on offense I see this defense giving up a bunch of big plays late in games. While I agree that Mcnabb isn't at full health, do you really think A.J. Feely and his healing hand, or rookie Kevin Kolb can do a better job with these guys? If they did, it would be because they would switch to a more balanced attack but I really think one of those 2 would have thrown a pick in last nights game balanced or not. This is what I meant about letting more talent get away than brought in. Why let Jeff Garcia go when he was willing to stay? Let him play the first 4 games or until Mcnabb was totally comfortable starting. But no, have to avoid the "QB controversy" right. In summary, I believe that the Front Office and coaching staff could do a better job of avoiding putting their players in these type of situations. Hindsight may be 20/20 but foresight is looking legally blind.