Official World Cup 2010 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by Major, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The World Cup is less than two years away and qualification has already started for most countries. South Africa is the only country currently qualified since they're tournament hosts.

CONCACAF's qualifying is really easy, so the US will probably make it. Their first games were in June. They beat Barbados 9-0 over two legs to advance to the first group stage.

Group 1
    USA
    Guatemala
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Cuba

Group 2
    Mexico
    Jamaica
    Honduras
    Canada

Group 3
    Costa Rica
    Suriname
    El Salvador
    Haiti

These games start in August and go through November. Top two teams in each group advance to the final group. The top three teams from the final group qualify for the World Cup. The 4th place team plays in a playoff against the 5th place South American team.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Europe hasn't started yet. I was wondering about South America (where they take top 4 countries). Fifth placer gets another chance, playing off with other groups 4th placer or something. What happened to Brazil? They're ranked 5th. I heard if they lost against Argentine in their last game they probably would have ranked lower and....not qualify? Can't imagine the WC without Brazil.

3. Major

Top 4 automatically qualify. 5th place plays the 4th place from CONCACAF (North and Central America and Caribbean) for the extra spot.

They're in 5th right now, but they've only played 6 games out of 18.

1. Paraguay - 13 points
    2. Argentina - 11
    3. Columbia - 10
    4. Chile - 10
    5. Brazil - 9
    6. Uruguay - 8
    7. Venezuela - 7
    8. Ecuador - 5
    9. Bolivia - 4
    10. Peru - 3

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

oh 18 games, that's a lot :lol:

Did you see the African groups. I wonder how many games they had to play to qualify.

5. Major

I think the African teams play 12 teams. 6 in two different group stages.

USA has to play 18 games to qualify too. I think Europe only has 10.

6. padd

padd Registered Member

sure, Italy plays off against Bulgaria, Ireland, Cyprus, Georgia, and Montenegro. Easy group for them, they'll be defending their title in 2 years for sure.

groups of 6 will play 10 games each, top 2 spots make it to the world cup.

the US has it easy in the qualifications as usual.

7. Major

Italy probably has the easiest group.

The 9 group winners qualify. The 8 best second place teams have a playoff for the four remaining spots.

So does Canada. How come they never get there. :lol: Just kidding. Yeah, CONCACAF is probably the easiest region to qualify from. That or Asia.

8. padd

padd Registered Member

HA for a 2nd i thought you were gonna say they have an easier group than the US.. yeah, pretty much Italy has the easiest group in Europe.. they have no competition with them. The Czechs may also breeze through their qualifiers.

9. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

So the United States, Mexico and Costa Rica advance to World Cup 2010.

Done and done lol

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species