Official Word on the Chat Lag

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't want to keep saying this in 5 different threads so here's the reason and the solution.

Basically the new chat requires a flash real time media streaming server (software). The one from Adobe costs $4,500. Obviously a no go:

Adobe.com Site Requirements

I found another software for around $2,000 that is comparable and is used by big companies such as Disney for their servers. Luckily I can "subscribe" to a software license on a month by month basis for $65 a month instead of paying all at once. Right now we're running a free open source flash media server which I had expected to hold up better than it is. It was supposed to be able to manage at least 100 connections without problems but being free and open source it's apparently also pretty unstable. That's why we're getting the issues right now. The one I ordered is supposed to be able to hold thousands of connections on a server that's not even as good as the one we're on so obviously you can see right there that it should fix our problems.

I forgot that today was New Year's Eve, which is why I won't get the new license files for the new media server until tomorrow (unless they also have New Year's Day off which would be lame). I guess the place has the day off work unfortunately.

So that's the explanation and solution. I would say by Friday at the latest but hopefully tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

The old chat room is still up for the time being so feel free to jump in there if the new one isn't working at the moment.

http://www.generalforum.com/chat_old.php

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for the update my friend, it's totally understandable that you cannot fix things. Stuff happens and it's not your fault that there close today.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
In the meantime I can reset the chat server throughout the day if it freezes up. Just IM me and let me know. I noticed it works fine for about an hour or so after a reset.
------
Just as I suspected the reason this has taken longer than it should was due to the holidays. I got an email last night to let me know that everything will be handled on Monday morning so that's good news.

Last edited:

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Thanks for the update...and the explanation as to what is wrong with chat..Looking forward to the new chat system when it gets here..

BTW Great job on the work you have been doing right now. :thumbsup:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright thanks for the update, you must be stressing about this whole ordeal, hang in there, it will be fixed fairly soon.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, so in theory the lag issue should be gone by the time I'm done installing the new media server on Monday. Then I'll get on the other issues like login and mod powers.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not everything but anything server related is usually a lot more. Most of their stuff is at least a few hundred but they have plenty well into the thousands of dollars range.
------
I've spent the past few hours working on fixing this lag. If you want to come into the chat and talk to me then go for it. I need to test it with some people in here anyway. :)
------
So far it seems to be doing much better. No lag for a few hours so far.

Last edited: