• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Official New York Islanders Thread 2014-2015

Cup4theIsles

Hey guys, quick personal intro. New to the boards, recruited off of a different hockey site.

I follow Isles as my main team (obviously), but I also keep an eye on the Kings and the Oilers.

Anyway, on to the main topic: Big year for the Islanders this year. Last season in NVMC. Last year of full ownership by Wang. But things look bright for them! Offseason acquisitions of Grabovski, Kulemin, Conacher (surprise in camp), Halak, Johnson, and the most impressive moves of the off-season, Boychuk and Leddy. Overall, 3 forwards, 2 dman, 2 goalies.

It's my personal belief that before the recent trades, the Isles were looking to be a WC/Bubble team. With them, it's more of an argument of 4th-8th in my mind. The Metro is wide open save the Penguins (almost assured 1st), and the Isles could take 2nd in the Metro behind the Pens and 4th in the East behind Boston, Tampa, and Pitts.

One thing is for sure. This season is a turning point for the Isles. And it's time to put up or shut up for Capuano.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm interested to see another year of progression from Tavaras. He's a borderline top five player in the NHL, that could be top three, in my opinion.

The addition of Leddy was a huge one. He'll help sure up the back-end for the Islanders, and he's only twenty-three years old.

One of the biggest key for the Islanders to have success is Halak. He's a very talented goaltender, but he can be very inconsistent. He'll steal you games that you have no right to win, but he'll also lose you some that should have been an easy two points.

Cup4theIsles

That's why I'm happy with all the additions. 6 of the 7 players that are added are at least defensively sound. Johnson is a back-up, but he can steal a game just as much as Halak. And they can ease the load of the other if needed. Boychuk is something that we haven't had on the back end. A large body that can stop you in your tracks, take the puck, and then score himself. Hope that he can resign with us after this season. A lot of people are throwing Leddy off to the side, and I can see why. But he has potential to grow into a better player than more than half of our current blue line. I look forward to seeing them play together.

A lot of people have Tavares this big mighty "if" for the season. Saying IF he remains healthy, he will be able to grow more, and improve the team. He has injured with a broken leg in a game against someone who doesn't play in the NHL, with an injury that didn't require surgery, and it was the longest he had been held without hockey ever in his life. Before last season, he had missed 3 games I believe. Honestly, this season expect 90 points, expect 30 goals, and expect 60 assists. At minimum. I see him being top 5 in points no problem.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
You won't hear me say this often, but Garth Snow did one hell of a job with the Islanders this off season. Adding veterans and playoff experience is exactly what this young team needed. The Islanders are not going to knock down doors this season, but if they compete all the way to the deadline and add a piece of two, they might be a threat to deal with.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
You'll like Leddy. Very good at moving the puck through the neutral zone and on the PP. for some reason he got into Quenneville's doghouse in Chicago and got sat several times late in the season and in the playoffs.

Cup4theIsles

The StroShow said:
You won't hear me say this often, but Garth Snow did one hell of a job with the Islanders this off season. Adding veterans and playoff experience is exactly what this young team needed. The Islanders are not going to knock down doors this season, but if they compete all the way to the deadline and add a piece of two, they might be a threat to deal with.
Honestly, if the Isles even get CLOSE to making it to the playoffs, Snow should win the GMOTY. And there shouldn't be a question about it. In one offseason, he filled almost every single one of our holes, including picking up a future 1st line winger in Dal Colle, and a boom or bust (leaning on the boom) in Ho Sang. Huge offseason. And once it comes to the post-season, you never know. Isles threaten the Pens last time, and if they had maybe a season extra of post season experience could have won. So I'm absolutely pumped.

goingtopshelf said:
You'll like Leddy. Very good at moving the puck through the neutral zone and on the PP. for some reason he got into Quenneville's doghouse in Chicago and got sat several times late in the season and in the playoffs.
I'm looking forward to seeing Leddy. He seems to be very good. Definitely has upside and potential! The nice part is we now have extremely lethal points between Vis, Boychuk, Nielsen, and Leddy. Add Pulock into that mix either later in the season or next season and oh man will that be good. Glad we were able to pick him up, he was one of the names I was hoping for since the off season started!

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Cup4theIsles said:
The StroShow said:
Honestly, if the Isles even get CLOSE to making it to the playoffs, Snow should win the GMOTY. And there shouldn't be a question about it. In one offseason, he filled almost every single one of our holes, including picking up a future 1st line winger in Dal Colle, and a boom or bust (leaning on the boom) in Ho Sang. Huge offseason. And once it comes to the post-season, you never know. Isles threaten the Pens last time, and if they had maybe a season extra of post season experience could have won. So I'm absolutely pumped.
Well I'm quite intrigued to see how these new guys(Boychuk/Leddy) will do on a non-contending team. Not taking away anything from them, because the skill is there but there was room for error with these guys because the players around them. Not so much anymore.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Welcome to the site! When I was a kid I, for some reason, supported the Islanders in the East. Probably because they weren't the Rangers, haha

Blues are always #1 but Isles are 3rd behind the Senators.

So good luck this year.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
A large contingent of Hartford Whalers fans, about 60 in all, are making a bus trip to Uniondale for tonight's game against the Blackhawks. In the past I believe the same group has gone to games there and in Carolina and a group of Nordiques fans if I recall have taken in games on the Island.