Official Miami Heat vs Dallas Mavericks thread

Vegito728

Registered Member
Okay this is where I will review the whole series between the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks. I will put my review up after the game.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Okay here's my review of game 1. Along with some quotes I decided to put in. I hope you all enjoy it.;)

They call him "Jet," and Jason Terry blasted the Dallas Mavericks past the Miami Heat in Game 1 of the NBA Finals on Thursday night.

Scoring 32 points and making four 3-pointers, the Mavs' unrestricted free agent-to-be point guard came up bigger than any of the three superstars in this series, playing one of the greatest games of his career on a night when neither team was particularly sharp on the NBA's biggest stage.

No one, that is, except Terry, who was 13-of-18 from the field to help make up for the 4-for-14 shooting of Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard's 3-for-14 effort as Dallas won 90-80. Game 2 is Sunday night.

By far the worst overall effort of the night, at least from a statistical perspective, was Shaquille O'Neal missing his first eight free throws (10, actually, because two were wiped off by lane violations before he finally made one with 55 seconds left and the Heat trailing by nine).

By then, it was too late for the Heat to do anything except go back to their hotel and figure out how a game that started so well for them ended so poorly.

Terry hit back-to-back 3-pointers early in the fourth quarter to give Dallas a 10-point lead, and he had a chance to get the lead up to 12 after the Heat emerged from a timeout and quickly turned the ball over. But on the ensuing uncontested breakaway, Terry seemed uncertain whether to dunk the ball or lay it in. He opted for the latter at the last split-second, but the ball spun out of his hand and missed everything.

The Heat had new life, and O'Neal quickly scored on a pair of dunks to get the deficit down to six with 7 minutes left. Dallas then went cold from the field, and Devin Harris' foul shot with 3:28 left was the Mavs' only point over the next 5:11. Terry gave Dallas a six-point lead after being fouled by O'Neal when Shaq was about to go up for a dunk, and he stole the ball from Dwyane Wade on Miami's ensuing possession.

That was only one instance when Miami couldn't get anything done offensively down the stretch, and the Heat went six consecutive possessions without scoring a point before O'Neal finally knocked one down from the foul line. Miami's final field goal of the game came with 5:12 left, and the Heat got just three points out of Wade in the fourth quarter and two points from its reserves all night.

"It's Game 1, that's all it is. No series is won in one game," Terry said. "We still have another level to go to."

"I was expecting to kind of be in awe of the situation, but Avery has done a great job of getting ready for this over the past year and a half," Terry said. "The basket is still 10 feet high, even though it didn't look that way on my layup."

Nowitzki finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds, and Howard had 10 points and 12 rebounds. Dallas was outrebounded for the first time in the postseason, but it didn't really matter as the Mavs held Miami to just 12 fourth-quarter points.

Dallas' Game 1 defensive scheme, at least at the start, was to send a second defender at O'Neal and Wade every time they got the ball. But Wade used his quickness to get into the lane before the second defender could take up position, and four times in the first quarter he got into the lane and scored on a drive. On the double-teams against O'Neal, a defender would drop down from the top of the key, and O'Neal had plenty of success passing out of those situations and finding an open teammate. The Heat made 14 of their 20 shots in the quarter, and the period ended with the Heat up 31-23.

Miami got its lead up to 11 early in the second quarter and played from ahead throughout most of the period, the Mavs staying within striking distance only because Terry carried over his play from Game 6 of the Western Conference finals and scored 12 points in the quarter.

Dallas was not as predictable with its double-teams against Wade and O'Neal, and the Heat finally got into a rut over the final three minutes of the half that allowed the crowd to give the home team a little boost. A steal by Nowitzki led to a breakaway layup by Terry that tied it at 44-44 with 32 seconds left before halftime, and Nowitzki drilled a 20-footer at the buzzer to put the Mavs up two at the break. Miami was outscored 8-0 over the final 3:59 of the half, with O'Neal sitting out the final 2 minutes after picking up his second foul.

The third quarter stayed tight until Nowitzki finally found his range from long distance, hitting his first 3-pointer with 5:14 left to put the Mavs up 59-57. After Antoine Walker tried to answer with a 3 but missed, Erick Dampier picked up a loose ball under the basket -- Miami's players for some reason wouldn't go after it -- and dunked it, and Nowitzki followed with another 3 to up the lead to 64-59. Wade had a vicious dunk over Dampier late in the quarter to help the Heat pull to 70-68 after three, but Miami never caught the Mavs in the fourth thanks to Terry, whose back-to-back 3-pointers turned a four-point game to a 10-point game in a matter of 76 seconds, putting Dallas up 82-73.

"Well, we've been asking for the real J.T. to come back to us," Johnson said. "And this Jason Terry makes us a pretty special basketball team because on a night like tonight, when Josh and Dirk go 7-for-28, you need to get some offense from somewhere. Josh and Dirk don't usually have nights like this. But again, I don't think either team necessarily played their best game. I think there's better basketball left in both of us."

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow this was an awesome game, and I'm really glad that the Mavericks one game 1, especially after they were losing in the second quarter what a great game by Jason Terry, scoring 32 points is amazing. Like you said he stepped up when the two other main man of the Mavs didn't great to see this. Lets go Mavs.

A

air_angel12com

Dallas Won. :mad: I'm very angry because Dallas is a team which thin is the best team of the world (Mark Cuban thinks). The next game, Miami will won.

M

mattdavies_03

I liked the game, and was surprised by Jason Terry in his first Finals game, 32pts is a great effort. Looking forward to seeing how the Heat come out of the blocks in game 2.

T

truper krit09

Heat are going to kick butt.. the first game is always wierd. Once the heat get used to the Mavs the Heat are going to tear it up.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
well Mavs win 99 - 85. Heat made a scary comeback with those 3s Walker hit, but Mavs hung in there. Shaq was contained very well too. 5 points from 2 field goals and 1 freethrow.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Okay here's my review of game 2. Also let me know what you thought of the review(I'm really tired).

The temptation here is to declare: "It's over."

It isn't over, of course, because the NBA Finals aren't over until someone wins four times, but all indications point to this thing being a heck of a lot closer to over than almost anyone could have expected.

That's how dominant the Dallas Mavericks were in a 99-85 victory over the Miami Heat Sunday night in Game 2, a game in which the Heat didn't even wait until the end to start hanging their heads and assuming the body language of a beaten team. They were doing that before the fourth quarter began.

Getting timely 3-pointers from Jerry Stackhouse and solid contributions from Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and even Erick Dampier, the Mavericks asserted themselves like never before and established themselves as the far better team in a game so lopsided that there wasn't any suspense down the stretch.

The Heat certainly couldn't provide any, and they were so thoroughly outclassed, outplayed, out-deeped, out-defensed -- you name it -- that it was hard to imagine this thing turning competitive when the series resumes in South Florida on Tuesday night. Miami has been a much better playoff team there, going 8-1 as opposed to 4-6 on the road, but the Heat left the court Sunday night with some deeply troubling questions to ask themselves, starting with the self-examination of whether they're even in the same class as the best team from the West.

Shaquille O'Neal was a non-factor (when was the last time you read that after a Finals game, if ever?) and had his lowest-scoring playoff game ever, Dwyane Wade was incapable of carrying the load by himself, and the only thing Miami did that remotely resembled a run was to pull within 12 midway through the fourth with Antoine Walker leading the way.

That late run was just a tease, however, and the Mavericks pretty much coasted through the second half after closing the first half with a 22-6 run that demoralized the suddenly flummoxed Heat. Nothing Miami tried on offense worked against Dallas' stifling and adaptable defense, and the Mavericks' advantage in depth gave them too many weapons for Miami to contain.

O'Neal, who sat out the final 15 minutes, did not speak to reporters after the game and was immediately fined $10,000 by the NBA, which also handed the Heat a $25,000 fine.

Nowitzki scored a team-high 26 points with 16 rebounds, Stackhouse added 19 off the bench, and Jason Terry and Howard scored 15 apiece. Dampier was a bigger force under the boards than Shaq with six points and 13 rebounds, while O'Neal was held to five field goal attempts and five points. Once again, Shaq didn't help himself at the line, either, with six misses in seven attempts.

But whether Shaq gets his requisite amount of touches, or whether enough of the offense runs through Wade, that twosome has proved incapable of carrying the Heat again a team with more youth and more diversity.

The Heat have been beaten in just about every aspect imaginable, and now they're two losses away from being just plain outclassed by a Dallas team that appears primed to earn its first championship in franchise history.

The push that put Dallas firmly in control came late in the second quarter when the Heat's game-long lack of hustle and poor execution caught up with them big time. With the score 40-34, Adrian Griffin chased down an offensive rebound and found Nowitzki at the top of the circle. Nowitzki then wheeled and fired a pass to Stackhouse in the corner for a 3-pointer. Wade was called for a palming violation at the other end, then Stackhouse nailed another 3 while getting fouled by Wade, his third foul of the half. Wade picked up a technical from referee Steve Javie for arguing the call from the bench, and even though Nowitzki missed the technical foul shot, Dallas still had one more dagger up its sleeve.

It again came from Stackhouse, who somehow drained a 3-pointer from the corner while falling out of bounds with 1 second left on the shot clock, putting the Mavs up 50-34 at halftime. Miami's point total was its lowest at intermission in 19 postseason games, and both O'Neal and Wade had just two field goals apiece.

The third quarter brought more of the same: Dallas playing with all the energy and enthusiasm, Miami staying mired in the muck. The first five minutes of the quarter featured a four-point play by Howard and a breakaway dunk by Dampier, of all people, while Miami looked even more confused and disjointed than it had in the latter part of the second quarter.

A sluggish first quarter ended with the Mavs ahead 18-17, with everyone in the building stuck waiting another 12 minutes for Nowitzki or Howard to get going. Miami tried going to O'Neal over the first seven minutes of the quarter without much success (he scored on the first possession of the game, then went scoreless over the rest of the quarter) before switching schemes to try to run more of the offense through Wade. But the Heat had limited success with that, too, and Wade was not even able to break free of Devin Harris' tight defense on Miami's final possession of the quarter and did not touch the ball. The Heat went to the line 14 times in the quarter, but made only eight, while Dallas was 4-for-4 and had a 15-7 rebounding edge.

Miami scored on three straight possessions early in the second quarter, and a 3-pointer by James Posey gave them a 28-23 edge before Nowitzki hit a wide-open jumper and Howard followed with a wide-open 3 to start an 13-0 run that ended with consecutive close jumpers by Nowitzki and Howard. The Mavs' offensive execution continued to be much more precise than Miami's as the quarter went on (O'Neal didn't have his second field goal until 3:02 before intermission), and Dallas' finishing kick highlighted by Stackhouse's falling-down 3-pointer left the scoreboard reading 50-34 at halftime.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow the Mavericks dominated the game, the Heat where never in it, it was a very entertaining game, now the Mavs lead 2-0 going to Miami. I believe that Shaq will have a way better game then he had in Game 2, but if the Mavs still play with the same passion they should sweep the Heat.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
That was still a nice review. good job.

You get fined for not talking to the media?? 0_o

Mavs did a great job against Shaq. He couldn't do squat. At least he made a freethrow.

Wade and Shaq had better play better in Miami. They have no excuse this time. They're motivated, they're losing, and they're at home.