• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Official GF Music Review Club - Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
OKay, sorry this was a little late - I have been a little swept over with RL and that. Anyway, this is the second review. At some point I'll get around to doing some sort of average rating thing for this. But for now, please review the following.

I hope it fits in with a few folks - It's just something I thought may well garner one or two interesting reviews. So please, seek out, listen to and review this album:

Jagged Little Pill - By Alanis Morissette

The tracks on it:

1. All I really want
2. You oughta know
3. Perfect
4. Hand in my pocket
5. Right through you
6. Forgiven
7. You learn
8. Hand over feet
9. Mary Jane
10. Ironic
11. Not the Doctor
12. Wake up
13. You oughta know (LP remix)

That's it folks. Get reviewing, I'll pick someone out a hat or summet for the next contribution to this shambolicly run review club. Ha.

Impact

V.I.P.
I actually want to punch you in the face right now. I can't even describe how much I loathe this album. Two of my best friends discovered this album one summer, and used to blast it every time we were in the car. It drove me insane. I guess i'll review it though, it's been a couple years since i've listened to it.
------
Oh shit, I still know all the words. Shoot me now

Last edited:

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I actually want to punch you in the face right now. I can't even describe how much I loathe this album. Two of my best friends discovered this album one summer, and used to blast it every time we were in the car. It drove me insane. I guess i'll review it though, it's been a couple years since i've listened to it.
------
Oh shit, I still know all the words. Shoot me now
Well, you can still review it you know?

I mean, isn't this the point? Checking out different tastes and that. If everybody put in a 10/10 it'd be pretty boring. --- Hmmm...

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, I said I would still review it. I was just letting you know how much I hate it haha I'm listening through it right now.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Yeah, I said I would still review it. I was just letting you know how much I hate it haha I'm listening through it right now.
Hahaha, I doubt it'll get a meaty review from me either lol.
That's two thing I've proposed this month that somebody despises. I'm on a roll.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw this is what we were reviewing next. Haha. When I think of good music, Alanis Morisette is definitely not the first name that comes to mind. But, I said I'd listen and give an honest review. So, here it is. This CD is pretty horrendous. I died a little inside after every song I played. Her voice is annoying, it makes it nearly impossible to enjoy what I'm sure could've been a somewhat entertaining song. The only good think about this CD is the memories it brings back. For that, I'll give it a little better than the zero I had initially thought of giving it.

Favorite song(s)... You Oughta Know, Hand In My Pocket, Ironic (the ones with the most memories attached to them).

Least favorite song(s)... the rest.

2/10

Shwa

V.I.P.
I do admit her songs are not a favorite of mine, but I have listened to them with a couple of friends and I can see why they like her. Her style of music is unique and I wanna put her in the emo section of my ipod under "never listen to", but she does get a large fan approval from around the world.

3/10 for my vote.

~Shwa

Impact

V.I.P.
My first reaction when I saw we were going to be reviewing Alanis Morissette was to hunt down HES and punch him in the face, so obviously this wasn't going to be getting a good review from me. Non the less, I subjected myself (and everyone else in my house at the time, i'm not going through that torture alone) to the full CD. When it comes to vocalists, i'm really fussy about what I like and there is something about Morissettes voice that makes me want to punch babies in the face. The only place this album scores points at all is the memories I have attached to some of the songs from two of my best friends being addicted to this CD one summer. The one song that may possibly have replay value is You Learn because I kinda like the lyrics.

Overall rating: 1/10 (0.5 for nostalgia value, 0.5 for You Learn)

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
This album doesn't strike me too brilliantly. A lot of the songs seems to have Alanis yawping at whoever can be arsed to listen. It's not the best way forward, considering the majority of the songs are hardly cutting edge, or blatantly revolving around some problem she's got, which I dare say most people wouldn't give a toss about.

Another bad thing I notice is the general morbidity of a lot of tracks on it. And not ones that manage to inflict any sort of emotional pull, just a sigh of unease perhaps. Some of the songs are saved by the general 'catchiness' of them, such as You Oughta Know, You Learn and perhaps the most widely recognised track on this album, Ironic.
Regardless of a few bits worth listening to, on a whole it's a fair ol' failure from some one who might well be talented enough to do a lot better. A shame.

Rating: 4/10 - Probably quite generous, but I've heard lots worse.

Kanji

Registered Member
This is a 90s album that is ok.
For me the best songs on this album are "Hand in my Pocket", "You Learn", and "Ironic". The other songs are just meh. I remember "you oughta know" being a better song than what it is.

I give the album a solid 5/10

sorry for the wait.

Last edited: