Official FA signing thread

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Tomorrow is July 1st, and players that are Free agents can sign with other teams. Even though there's not a lot of top notch free agents out there, it's still going to be a busy day tomorrow.

We'll use this thread to discuss the signings that we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

But with that being said, the prize player right now is Ilya Kovalchuk. I'm wondering where he'll go. Some rumors have it that he wants to play for a cup contender, and other rumors are that he wants a 100 million dollar contract.

Discuss.

2. Babe_Ruth

Lots of interesting moves yesterday. The biggest splash was probably Sergei Gonchar signing a three year contract with the Ottawa Senators. It was a three year deal worth 5.5 million dollars a year. Personally I believe they paid way to much for him. He's a good player but he's getting up there in age and he's been known to get injured in the past.

Other signings yesterday:

Hamhuis gone to Vancouver
    Paul Ranger gone to Pittsburgh
    Volchenkov for to New Jersey
    Bouggard gone to Rangers
    Auld gone to Montreal
    Colby Armstrong to the Leafs

There's others as well.

3. Babe_Ruth

Report: Islanders could make large offer to Kovalchuk

That would be huge if the Islanders were able to get Kovalchuk. Team him up with John Tavaras, and that would be a sick line. I don't know if Ilya would want to play in Rhode Island, but that is a lot of money and if it's the because contract he gets offered I don't see him turning it down.

4. Beef

Beef Registered Member

That would be Long Island. It's part of New York City. Rhode Island is it's own state. Not part of New York City.
    And yes it would be a good deal for the Islanders, very ballsie, especially how their previous mega delas (Yashin and DiPietro) have blown up in their faces.

5. Babe_Ruth

I had a brain fart there, my bad.

With that being said, rumors are that Kovalchuk as turned them down since he doesn't want to play with them. The Kings are supposedly making a strong push for him. I think in the next few days we'll see Ilya with a new team.

6. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Any news on Nabokov or Turco?

7. Babe_Ruth

Here's a list of remaining Free Agents.

2010 Free Agent List - NHL Free Agency 2010

There's a lot of good players left on the marker.

To answer your question Kons, Turco was offered a contract by the Flyers a few days ago but he turned it down. I think he wants to get more money then he actually deserves.

No word on Nabakov as of late, a lot of people believe he might go play in the KHL.

8. CarlZner

CarlZner New Member

I'm trying to think of a team who needs a number one. Maybe Ottawa if there not sold on Elliot or Leclairc. Philly doesn't have cap room.

And no Washington doesn't need a goalie they're going with the young guys Varly and Nuevy.

According to NHL.com LA is out of the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. I bet you he will end up in the KHL, which is a shame, I love to watch Kovalchuk play. Amazing stickhandler, speed, shot.

9. Babe_Ruth

The Sens don't have cap space to sign another goalie. They will stick it out with Elliot and Leclaire. I thing they are confident with their goaltending right now, but I don't see either of those two bringing them to the promise land.

A month or so ago, rumors were that Kovalchuk would go play in hte KHL for a few years then come back in hte NHL. Personally, I don't understand why he wouldn't want to play in the best league in the World.

I know he deserves top dollars since he's one of the best players in the NHL, but you'd think at this point of his career he would take a slight pay cut to win a championship.

10. CarlZner

CarlZner New Member

I figured Sens didn't have enough cap space but that is really the only team that might take a chance.

Kovie should take a pay cut I mean hes an offensive dynamo but hes not a 2- way Toews player that deserves that big cash. Plus if LA sign Kovalchuk to a big deal how will they sign Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson?

Should be interesting watching this unfold.