• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Officers disrespect de Blasio (New York Mayor)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

dDave

V.I.P.
De Blasio has a black wife and half black son. I don't blame him for being concerned. I don't think he should resign over it.

Sometimes cops overreact when it comes to minorities or anyone for that matter, this includes black cops. Do I think all cops are like this, no but enough its an issue.

Horrific new video shows cop shooting black man reaching for his drivers license - Salon.com

D.C. attorney outraged when cops accuse handyman of robbery - NY Daily News
That doesn't change the fact that he has blatantly disrespected cops and in turn has lost the respect of the police permanently. He cannot run this city.

How can someone like this become the mayor of any city?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Some of DeBlasio's argument is political. Things like the union feels he didn't do enough to get pay raises. A lot of it however is his complete disrespect of police officers. No mayor of NY should ever be friends with Al Sharpton. Sharpton destroyed the lives of good NYC police officers during the Twana Brawley fiasco and has never even appologized. If I was a NYC cop, I couldn't be in the same room with DeBlasio.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Do not the people of NYC have the democratic authority to punt DeBlasio from office? I am not an expert on politics, much less American politics, however, I am sure that there must be legal structures in place that are not unlike impeachment, but on a municipal level. Eighty years ago, if a political member, even a mayor, would have lost the respect of virtually the entire city, they would have been run out on a rail. If an example is never made of political figures who behave inappropriately and incompetently then the stage will be set for worse and worse standards of leadership and political conduct. We have already seen this play out at the Federal level, with each POTUS being exponentially worse than the last.

If we, the people, do not act unilaterally to not only condemn, but punish those political figures who act against the interest of the people, then we the people condone the abuse of power. The powers that be are watching and listening and are eager to explore new expanded boundaries of social tolerance. Where will we draw the line? Perhaps a more apt question is, when will we draw a line? As I peer into my crystal ball, I see the answer to that question. The anger at the social injustices facilitated by political leaders will lead to everyone fighting everyone else, except the politicians who are at the heart of the situation, who will be, at worst, badmouthed in the press until they resign to a big pension and perhaps move to a less visible level of political office.

It is the way of things and the real blame rests on those who have the power of the majority, but do not use it to correct the mistakes of the majority. Yes, look in the mirror. There is the most negligent politician of all. We are all to blame.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sure the people of NY are against him. The police are mad at him because he didn't totally support them but the people are mad at the police because they can get too heavy handed at times and they are sick of it. I don't think anyone, or most, is against police but want reform within the police dept.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Well, not to derail the thread, but the other points still stand, even if not entirely applicable to DeBlasio. Obama, for example, should be impeached. In Canada, Torontonians have allowed themselves to become a political laughing stock on account of the buffoon they tolerate as mayor. There are many examples at all levels of government. We need to collectively put our foot down or we'll get walked over. Anyhow, I'll save the rest of that rant for a different thread.

dDave

V.I.P.
Do not the people of NYC have the democratic authority to punt DeBlasio from office? I am not an expert on politics, much less American politics, however, I am sure that there must be legal structures in place that are not unlike impeachment, but on a municipal level. Eighty years ago, if a political member, even a mayor, would have lost the respect of virtually the entire city, they would have been run out on a rail. If an example is never made of political figures who behave inappropriately and incompetently then the stage will be set for worse and worse standards of leadership and political conduct. We have already seen this play out at the Federal level, with each POTUS being exponentially worse than the last.

If we, the people, do not act unilaterally to not only condemn, but punish those political figures who act against the interest of the people, then we the people condone the abuse of power. The powers that be are watching and listening and are eager to explore new expanded boundaries of social tolerance. Where will we draw the line? Perhaps a more apt question is, when will we draw a line? As I peer into my crystal ball, I see the answer to that question. The anger at the social injustices facilitated by political leaders will lead to everyone fighting everyone else, except the politicians who are at the heart of the situation, who will be, at worst, badmouthed in the press until they resign to a big pension and perhaps move to a less visible level of political office.

It is the way of things and the real blame rests on those who have the power of the majority, but do not use it to correct the mistakes of the majority. Yes, look in the mirror. There is the most negligent politician of all. We are all to blame.

- Cham
Elected officials aren't held accountable for their actions every day of the week. It's really sad that our system has come to this. No matter what mistakes are made, who is impacted, and how wrong it is, they won't be held responsible. Support for public officials rests on ideological lines that are basically Democrat vs Republican (with smaller factions therein).

I'm not sure the people of NY are against him. The police are mad at him because he didn't totally support them but the people are mad at the police because they can get too heavy handed at times and they are sick of it. I don't think anyone, or most, is against police but want reform within the police dept.
He got elected, I guess that says something (even though voter turnout was very low). I think a lot of people support de Blasio simply because he's a Democrat. You have to remember that this is New York City.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
There is an issue with trigger happy police and maybe theres even racism. But wheres the proof that the racism is all white against black?
I saw a lot of black police officers in that video.

That does not excuse murdering random police officers or supporting protesters that support killing them.
That also doesnt excuse Blasio for friending a dude (Al Sharpton) who supported racial fraud.
Tawana Brawley rape allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And wont even pay his taxes.
Al Sharpton and His $4.5 Million Dollar Tax Bill

Imo police brutality should be discussed but Blasio should be impeached.
And I salute the NYPD for turning their backs.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Those who were chanting "We want dead officers!" have blood on their hands because they got their wish. They should be rounded up and charged as accomplices. I am that disgusted. And this partisan society going on South of the boarder is absolute nonsense. I guess Americans don't need to use their brains anymore, they just judge everything based on party affiliation and for the rest ask Google. What kind of society are we creating here anyway?! Nobody seems to give a second thought to that anymore.

- Cham