Off Duty shoots at armed robbers

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland Police are searching for the suspects who tried to rob an off-duty police officer at gunpoint.

Around 3:00 a.m. this morning, Second District zone cars were called to West 11th and Fairfield Avenue in Cleveland.

Cleveland Police Spokesman, Sgt. Sammy Morris, tells Fox 8 News, the off-duty police officer was walking with a woman to his car, when they were approached by three men.

Police say when the suspects walked up to the victims, one of the men pulled out a gun, pointed it at the Highland Heights police officer and demanded money.

According to investigators, the victim identified himself as an off-duty police officer and backed peddled towards his vehicle.

The officer then grabbed his off-duty weapon and fired one shot at the suspects, who took off. It is not known if the suspects were hit.

The victims were not injured.

Highland Heights Police Chief James Cook says as part of their policy, the 34-year-old veteran police officer has been placed on three day administrative leave.

Anyone with any information on the suspects is asked to call Cleveland Police.
Now my question is, if the officer was just an ordinary citizen (meaning if he wasn't a police officer) would you still support his action?

I honestly can't see where this is justified. There's too much missing from this story for me to make a decision. At this point, I say no I don't support his actions, simply because of the ambiguity of his action and the convenience of his story. I mean really, if you feel your life is threatened, are you really only going to shoot off one round?

I just can't seem to believe this story, and if you're asking if I agree with lethal action to prevent a robbery, no I don't. If a person intends to simply steal my posessions, let them have it. IF they intend to kill me, I'll fight back. The story never once mentioned his life was threatened or that he felt as if he was going to die one way or another.

Frankly, an off-duty cop is a civilian, just as a vet is not a soldier. Off-duty cops don't hold extra rights, there are still liable.