Oden makes it official, declares for NBA draft

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The 7-foot freshman said on Friday that he will leave Ohio State after leading the Buckeyes to the national championship game and enter the NBA draft where he figures to be one of the top two picks, along with Kevin Durant of Texas.

Freshman teammates Mike Conley Jr. and Daequan Cook also said they will make themselves available for the draft. Unlike Oden, they have opted not to hire an agent for now -- meaning they will retain the option of returning to school in the fall.

"This is a very tough decision for me," Oden said in a statement released by Ohio State. "I love OSU and love being a Buckeye, but I also have a great opportunity to take my game to the next level and compete with the best players in the world. I've discussed this with family, friends and Coach [Thad] Matta, and I feel the time is right."

All three players were key figures this past season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2844252

D

dogman652

I think there going to pick him over Durrant. In the NBA theese days, you don't usaully find big men who are decent on the offensive end. There will be better guys then Durrant in a matter of years.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Oden is an amazing player on offence and defence and I think he will be the first overall pick this year. It's hard to pass this guy up even if Durant is the following guy. Oden could be the next top big man in the league , Other then Yao of course.

zunami

Registered Member
If he doesn't turn out better than Yao, Durant is the better choice. But there's just too much potential not to take Oden with the first pick.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's about time that he declares, I am hoping that the Celtics get him just because this guy reminds me of Bill Russell defensive wise, and facial wise. He still needs a lot of developing to do, he fouls to much, he doesn't have much of an offensive game, needs a jump shot in is repertoire. But I agree you do not pass on this kid he has to much potential to pass on. I am really happy that he decided to declare instead of staying in school another year. People go to college to get a degree and get a better job well what better then the NBA? Also he doesn't take a risk of getting injured in the College game.

TDG1987

Registered Member
IMO the 2 most important positions are PG and C. Swingmen are a dime a dozen, even ones as great as Durant. How many legitimate centers are there in the NBA? Shaq's still got something left in the tank but he's 35, Yao is very good but he hasn't been dominant physically, Big Ben is undersized and limited offensively, and Dwight Howard has work to do on the offensive end. Guys like Brand, Amare, and Duncan are great post players but are power forwards. Guys like KG and Dirk play more like small forwards. I'm talking about true centers here in the Hakeem, Kareem, Ewing, and Chambelain sense here. I see Oden coming in right away and being one of the top legit 7-ft post prescences in the league.

M

mlh1981

for my own selfish reasons, I would like to see guys like Oden stick around at LEAST 2 years. It just makes it hard to follow a school when the players always change. Yeah, I get that's the nature of the beast, but there are never any college dynasties. Florida is a RARE exception, and will prob. be the last college dynasty for quite a long time. Nowadays, it's just a bunch of diaper dandies who come in, use the university for all it's worth, and leave. Believe me, though, I don't feel sorry for the universities. It's a mutual "using"

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
See I disagree with you, why stay another year. The reason why people go to college is because to get a good job, and this guy is going to be a basketball player, and lets say if he gets seriously injured next year in College and cannot play basketball every again, then that ruins his chances of making really good money. He's almost NBA ready so why not declare. It's the best move he could make.