• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oden Done for the Season

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden out for season because of knee injury - ESPN

ORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden will have microfracture surgery on his left knee and will not play this season.
This has got to be infinitely annoying, disappointing, and discouraging for Oden and the Blazers. He had so mcuh potential but he keeps getting these long term, season-ending injuries and surgeries.

Is it time to call him a bust yet?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think he will ever be healthy enough to play. It's unfortunate and I feel bad for him. I'd call him a bust at this point, but not because of a lack of talent.

konboye

Registered Member
Well, if you remember that he is the number one pick in his draft class, yeah, he is a bust. His body cannot handle the NBA, its his body that is letting him down. And when he does play, he gets into foul trouble like Bliss causes without provocation.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is so disappointing, I'm a huge fan of Oden and I want to see him have success in the NBA. I agree with Echoes, I would call him a bust but wouldn't put him in the same category as Kwame Brown. I do hope that Oden will be healthy one day, he has the skill set to be one of the best centers in the NBA. It's just a shame he can't stay healthy.

derrickpogi

I feel bad really, every year portland is looking to be a contender but with him out of the picture it would be very difficult. Plus an injury for Brandon Roy. Well, hope everything will be well for the Blazers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Trailblazers haven't much success drafting Centers with a high pick, you have Sam Bowie, LaRue Martin(arguably the biggest bust of all-time) and Greg Oden. But in all honesty I can't blame the Blazers for wanting Oden over Durant, I would of done the same thing as Portland did.

konboye

Registered Member
All his injuries since college to pros are documented here. Its just random bad luck, and its so sad. I can only imagine how bad he feels. Last season, with a guaranteed contract, he was paid all season even if he didn't play. But this season, he will loose a lot of money. He should start trying other alternative, alternative medicine that is or something else, those injuries are just not ordinary. Bill Simmons did some article on the curse the Clippers carry, and I know it sounds cheesy but its true.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
All his injuries since college to pros are documented here. Its just random bad luck, and its so sad. I can only imagine how bad he feels. Last season, with a guaranteed contract, he was paid all season even if he didn't play. But this season, he will loose a lot of money. He should start trying other alternative, alternative medicine that is or something else, those injuries are just not ordinary. Bill Simmons did some article on the curse the BLAZERS carry, and I know it sounds cheesy but its true.
It is sad, but I wouldn't count him out yet. Grant Hill is known to have had injuries in the past but it seems like those are behind him now. I know it's a bit different then Oden because it wasn't at the beginning of his career for Grant, but maybe Oden can go see Hill and ask him a few advice.

I'm not sure if the Blazers will give him a qualifiying offer this off-season, but I do know that a team will give him a chance. If teams are still giving Shaun Livingston a chance, I don't see why they wouldn't give Greg one.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This is really sad, I hate to see stuff like this. It's one thing when a player is a bust because his attitude sucks or he's a head case, it's another when a guy has talent and can be very good but can't get past injuries. I really hope he can bounce back from this and play next year.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
God, you really got to feel bad for Oden. History will judge this as a massive bust, but I remember on draft day alot of people had Oden as a #1 over Durant. Hopefully eventually Oden can heal up and maybe be a productive role player some day, in Portland or somewhere else, but I don't think his body will ever allow him to a dominate player.