Oddness when sleeping/waking

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by pikachu1, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pikachu1

pikachu1 Registered Member

This is a serious issue I have. First of all, this relates to this topic I made. http://www.generalforum.com/advice-board/i-think-i-might-going-insane-48657.html Second, if someone(like a Mod) thinks that this topic and the other would do better(more possible/in-depth responses) in another board instead of Advice can they possibly move them there. Not too sure but you be the judge. Anyway, lately when I start to go to sleep and when i start to wake up I can feel someone (physically) holding me down. I can feel their hands holding my arms and their body kind of sitting on my legs. It feels real as if a real person were doing it. I can also hear two voices. One telling me to go to sleep and the other saying to not trust the first voice. The reason this relates to that other topic I made is that in my dreams I am walking in the city and come to an alleyway. It is very dark inside the alley. I am able to make out two dead bodies. They are the bodies of Michael and Mikey(read other topic). I start to panic and then i see Mike standing there covered in blood. He looks kinda crazy. He says that he had to do it for the greater good. I ask him what he means and then he jumps on me and holds me down just like how it feels when i go to sleep and also wake up. He tells me to go to stay asleep and never wake up. However, i can then hear Mikey and Michael saying to wake up. I wake up at this point and usually have to "force" off whatever seems to be holding me down(my limbs are numb and I kind of have to think very hard about getting them to move(will them into moving)). It's odd though because Mike is supposed to be the "protector" in my other recurring dream, so I don't understand. I told my mother(I stay with her; that's another topic I made). She says that she feels that I'm overstressed and would love to get me to see someone but we have no money for that kind of thing. Which is very unfortunate. What is going on? Am I just making things worse for myself somehow? Also this isn't the only website I have posted this on but no one seems to really be able to help.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know what diet to recommend but I've heard that dreams can be manipulated by diet. I'm no psychologist but I'd also recommend trying to stay active during the days and don't spend much time just sitting around thinking about this. Main reason is that your dreams are generally filled with things from your days and/or thoughts. If you are keeping busy doing other things and keeping your mind preoccupied then you'll have a better chance of dreaming about other things.

Get a hobby or two and get passionate about them. That's all I can think of right now.

3. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

It sounds to me like the sensation of being held down while you are falling asleep or waking up is sleep paralysis. It's nothing to be afraid of and happens to a lot of people. When you fall asleep, your body goes into sleep paralysis so that you don't act out the motions of your dreams while you are sleeping. Sometimes your mind wakes up while your body is still in that state, and that can cause that feeling of numbness and inability to move. It can be pretty scary when you don't understand what is happening. There is a lot of folklore revolving around sleep paralysis, because before it was truly understood, people came up with explanations for it, like a demon sitting on your chest, etc. There are a lot of resources online that can tell you more about it if you googling the term.

4. pikachu1

The thing is that i never used to get that feeling and now I'm getting it all the time even when taking short naps. i know it might not be anything bad but it's wierd that it would start up all of a sudden.

5. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

From Wiki:

It's possible that all of the stress you have been going through may be to blame for the sudden onset of this sensation. Even the naps might be a factor.

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

It sounds like a combination of Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations. These are extremely common when woken up in a deep sleep where your muscles were tense and havent relaxed yet. I am guessing that you are thinking that you are being held down in the position of the guy attacking you in your dream because you are subconciously relating it to that. I mean you could see a sleep center, but that can be expensive if you do not have insurance or anything.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  7. pikachu1

But why is this happening all of a sudden? Is it because of the stress? Also it's not just a "general held down feeling" it feel exactly like fingers gripping me like how you hold onto something and have to adjust your hands a bit to grip tighter or change positions. Also why does it relate to my recurring dream in the other topic?

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

There really can't be a good reason why it is happening so sudden. Things like that tend to come and go. Sleep paralysis is just a scary thing and I figured your mind made you automatically associate it straight to that dream. I can't diagnose you with anything, it was just my best guess. I hope for your sake it stops happening though.

9. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

The subconscious is a really weird thing, it works in allegories and metaphors. The dream is obviously a very important thing on your mind as you've decided to discuss it with us and others. Your subconscious mind is thinking about it a lot, and because of that, your dreams are filled with it.

10. pikachu1

I told my sister about it but she just said that I was using that as an excuse to not get a job, even though I have been trying everything I can to get one. She actually said that it's people like me that are to blame on the economy. This doesn't help me with my issues at all.