Odd Issue

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
For the last 2 weeks straight my laptop has installed 1 update every time I shut it off. Normally this wouldnt bother me but this time its starting to seem a little odd because of the repetitive "install". I'm on several different computers during the day and it used to be that the updates all happened around the same time. However lately its just been my laptop, 1 every day.

Because this particular laptop has some age to it I was wondering if maybe the age had something to do with it.

Does anyone know whats going on here? I sort of think I'm over reacting but its just that its done this for 2 weeks straight now.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
what OS are you using on your laptop?
How old is the laptop?

I don't think I've ever run into something like this.

I know that in various versions of XP they get different updates same with versions of Vista.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Its an XP, Sony VAIO from 2003

I know I have some J2SE Runtime Environment Updates on it that take up a large chunk of space on my memory. So I'm probably getting low on that. My first thought coming in to it is maybe this particular update has just failed to complete its install and has just tried over and over for the last 2 weeks. But that seems kinda far fetched considering I havent seen an "update failed" message.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Its an XP, Sony VAIO from 2003

I know I have some J2SE Runtime Environment Updates on it that take up a large chunk of space on my memory. So I'm probably getting low on that. My first thought coming in to it is maybe this particular update has just failed to complete its install and has just tried over and over for the last 2 weeks. But that seems kinda far fetched considering I havent seen an "update failed" message.
I'd email Microsoft about it.

What version of Windows XP are you using specifically? (Professional, Home Edition, Media Center, etc)

If you're installing the update while shutting down then it's possible that you wouldn't get an error message.

Check how much hard drive space you have left too. If there isn't enough space to install the update then obviously you can't install it.;)

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
XP Professional Version 5.1

where I stand right now its not hurting the function of the laptop so I'll just keep on moving along until it messes something up. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this odd happen stanc.e

..yeah. I had something like that after I installed the dotnet update. It somehow messed with the network setup (a network service that couldn't be registered, or something). So the computer wanted to install it every time I ran the update service (daily on that computer). But couldn't complete it at boot, and recovered the previous setup. Then automatically installed the update and wanted to reboot. If you have somehow set the winboot to silently confirm the install, then that might explain what happens.

Wouldn't hurt to look in the adm. tools and the system events, though. If you have some sort of hardware conflict running, it should turn up in the log. At least some symptom should show up.