Objective Morality

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Objective morality: Is there such a thing? Are there moral rules upon which the vast majority of people can agree? Is morality by consensus really valid ‘morality’? Or is the consensus really only a compromise put forth so we can all get along with our own moralities if they clash those of others

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

There seem to be a set list of morals that people tend to agree, well the majority of people.

There are definitely rules upon which the vast majority of people can agree. However, this does not necessarily make it valid morality, as all that that shows is that lots of people think the same thing. I think each person has their own personal set of moral values (whether or not they've thought it through and can describe them), and that as humans this often is something which is beneficial to the majority of people as well as the self, thus making the apparent morality by consensus.

D

danielpalos

Nature is objective. Objective morality can be found in Nature.

O

Otacon

I personally think that there are a small set of rules in morals that must be followed, such as not ever murdering, but most of the time morals can be adjusted based on the situation. (For example, I wouldn't punish a man who stole something to feed his children, but I would punish a man who stole something out of greed)

Vince Carter said:
Objective morality: Is there such a thing? Are there moral rules upon which the vast majority of people can agree? Is morality by consensus really valid ‘morality’? Or is the consensus really only a compromise put forth so we can all get along with our own moralities if they clash those of others
Could you define what exactly you mean by "objective". Are you meaning with NO reference to anything? Anything physical?

Could you define what exactly you mean by "objective". Are you meaning with NO reference to anything? Anything physical?
"Moral objectivism is the position that certain acts are objectively right or wrong, independent of human opinion.

Models of objective morality may be atheistic, monotheistic (in the case of the Abrahamic religions), or pantheistic (in the case of Hinduism). The moral codes may stem from reason, from the divine, or from a combination of the two. These various systems differ as to the nature of the objective morality, but agree on its existence. It is this diversity between codes of objective morality, and the seemingly endless debates between people over irreconcilably different claims to objective morality that lead many to reject the concept entirely, in favor of subjective morality (see moral relativism).

In their effort to overcome these difficulties, advocates of objective morality have proposed a number of means to bridge the gap between the objective and subjective.

Systems of objective morality are seen as proceeding from many sources, including:

* The Divine, in the case of Religion.
* Reason and the natural world, in the case of many secular philosophies, for example utilitarianism or the categorical imperative of Kant.
* Reason and the divine in concert, as in the case of Thomism. "
-Wikipedia