Obesity

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bball4life, Jun 17, 2008.

1. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

Growing Problem of Obesity

theres no doubt this is a growing problem. i think people should start doing something about it. i mean, is it really that hard to excorcise regularly, and eat relativly healthy foods?

what are your thoughts on obesity?

2. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

Sometimes people can't avoid it, and it really is genetics or whatever. People just have to have some willpower and stick to whatever they are doing.

My mom was heavy I guess, and she decided that she wanted to lose weight. She ordered "6 Week Body Makeover", and she stuck to it and to this day she still eats the food they told her to eat, and she came up with her own stuff too. She lost like 100 pounds in a year and she's never been happier. People just have to deal with it in their own way.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

There are people who have a bad run of Genetics, naturally they have low metabolisms and their bodies just break down sugars and carbs differently than others.

None the less I wouldnt say that is an excuse. Especially when obesity is directly linked to health issues. With enough work and effort anyone should be able to maintain their own body. I mean if you have one thing to do in your life I would assume its take general care of yourself. hahaha.

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

There is one kid in my school, Anthony, everyone calls him Fluffy. He is about 5'4", 250 pounds at least. He blames his weight on genetics. I really doubt it, he eats like two full lunches every day.

5. bball4life

i think that even if you have problems with genes, you can still control your weight

6. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

okay, to me obesity is a huge problem but I also dont think that it can be determined by BMI.

At 5'1 feet and 137 pounds my bmi is 26. That says that I'm overweight but I dont come even close to looking it because of my body type.

And like what if someone BMI is 30+ but it mostly muscle....can we consider that person obese?

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

Not sure, that's a weird question.

I'm 6'2", 155 pounds, it says I'm 19.9%, but at least that is in the "Normal Weight" category. I don't get it though, I'm like anorexic lol.

Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

8. bball4life

well yeah, im the same way, im 6"2' and 169 pounds, but im very skinny.

im talking more about the amount of body fat a person has.

9. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

Is that thing correct? Now it has me thinking I'm almost overweight. Lol.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Obesity is a problem on both a personal and social level for each individual affected. Simply put, most people do not exercise during the day and settle for minimal quality in their food choices. Are some people lazy? Yes, but it's not the main problem, something a lot of people (mostly foreigners, see "America is fat, lol") don't seem to get.

I use a "fatitude" rating for ranking how dangerous things are as they relate to obesity problems, 0 being no problem, 10 being a major problem.

What causes obesity:

Laziness
    "Fatitude": 3/10
    Yes, some people are just plain snails. They're sloths who drag themselves out of bed just to go to the bathroom and eat breakfast before falling asleep again at their desks for nine hours. While these people are quite bothersome, they are not the real problem here.

Food Choice
    "Fatitude": 5/10
    The reason this receives a neutral score is because this is a problem with personal decision making. You are in control of what you eat, no questions asked. Aside from health issues that prohibit certain foods, you have the power to decide what goes down that over-sized pie hole of yours. There are a lot of really poor selections out there for every meal of the day from the breakfast abomination known as a "Pancake Sausage Dog on a Stick" to the infamous "Big Mac" from Mickey D's, there's all sorts of temptation out there. The real problem boils down to will power and responsibility. You get one body, treat it right.

Modern Conveniences
    "Fatitude": 7/10
    It's simple, things are getting easier to do these days and thus, we are losing small amounts of physical work thanks to them (such as the use of escalators, elevators, segways, etc.). Take a different course and hike the stairs instead of taking the elevator.

Lifestyle
    "Fatitude": 9/10

The real problem lies in our typical lifestyles. A lot of people can't be bothered to eat a healthy meal, they have to eat something quick, convenient, and compact. This usually translates to fast food places, frozen dinners, and processed foods. Our quick-paced way of life in the US translates to the need for quick food and quick food translates to poor quality (usually).