Obama's Speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Did anyone see it? I only saw parts of it in the news. And as Ice mentioned in the other thread, McCain's VP pick is occupying a big part of the news now. :lol:

For those who missed it, here's a link to a full video and full transcript of his speech.

Which parts of it did you like the most? Or if you're not into Obama, which part of it do you disagree the most?

BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama speech - full text

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Hm, now I am the second non-American to comment on it. ;)

I found it inspiring. What I found especially refreshing was that Obama addressed the vile smear attacks by McCain and the GOP on the Dems in general in the past 8 years, that they allegedly lack patriotism. It's refreshing they are finally called on that horrible smear rhetoric that has the only purpose of dividing the people, playing out the jongoists against the sane people, in order to gain more votes for the Reps.

It's the Reps who, with such divisive rhetorics, put their own party before the country. And Obama had the balls calling them on it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    ysabel likes this.
  3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

:lol: I actually listened to the entire thing (40 minutes long speech). It was more engaging than the homily I last listened to.

I like that he points out that Bush didn't make the problems per se, it's just that he failed to respond to these.

And that's why he's called McSame.

Would that be nice? No more dependence on oil from the Middle East. Perhaps there'd be lesser ME invasion after it. :lol:

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Ideally, he would have addressed all the horrible violations of Constitution and basic civil and human rights by the administration. But this is America. You cannot win an election with pointing on those raping human rights for "national security" in America 2008.

Indeed. As Obama said, he has voted with Bush most of the time. No matter if 90%, 95% or 85%.

That's a very good ideas. And I am worried about us Europeans being so dependant on Russian gas and oil. At least Germany has pushed up the use of regenerative energies to 12%, the plan is to reach 20% by 2020. Still way too few, but a beginning.

And yes, let's hope America won't attack Iran. Iraq would be a kindergarten party in comparison, and probably the Russians wouldn't be happy either.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

We only get 16% of our oil from the middle east. He's making a big deal out of nothing to attract uneducated voters.

He also bashes McCain on "McCain said he would follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell but he won't even follow him to the cave he lives in."

That's a load of crap considering "the cave he lives in" is supposedly in Pakistan, a sovereign country who is our ally. Obama wants to just storm in without permission. He has actually said that.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Oh I thought the cave he was referring to was Afghanistan.

7. Mirage

Tough talk on Pakistan from Obama | U.S. | Reuters

Considering Pakistan is an ally of the US it would be very naive to think we can essentially invade them to chase al Qaeda and Taliban without their approval. That's how you lose allies. We can't really afford to lose allies in the middle east right now if you ask me.

8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, that's if you don't count Venezuela, Colombia, Libya, Nigeria, and Angola, all of which either have threatened to cut us off, or have dictatorial regimes.

I mean, the only reason these terrorist regimes stay in power is because we hand over hundreds of billions of dollars to them. Foreign importation is a huge, huge problem.

9. Mirage

He wants to become energy independent but (correct me if I'm wrong) he doesn't want to drill on US soil (or off the coast) at ALL?

It would make sense to drill AND invest in future energy technologies. He only wants to invest in future energy.

Using our own gas would lower the prices quite a bit WHILE we invest in new energy technology.

10. Sim

Sim Registered Member

@Hybrix:

That makes me think you don't pick your allies wisely. Pakistan is a much bigger threat than Iran. There are millions of radical islamists in the country, and there is a chance they soon get power, not as Musharraf has been toppled. IF there is any country with the chance of nukes falling in the hands of islamist terrorists, it's Pakistan (Pakistan has nukes already). Pakistan also tolerates Taliban at its border to Afghanistan, from where they attack the Western forces there.

And that's a good ally? W. Bush logic at work again.