Obama's Comments RE: Islamic Cultural Center near Ground Zero

Raos

Registered Member
President Obama recently issued a statement that the proposed Islamic Cultural Center to be build near Ground Zero is not breaking any laws and is to be allowed to continue being built. Many Americans are outraged by this. What are your thoughts and why? Was Obama right in saying what he said? Should he have said something different?

Edited to add: This thread is about Obama's comments, not about the actual Islamic center as there is already a thread on that. Please contain responses to center around what Obama said and how you feel about that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
President Obama recently issued a statement that the proposed Islamic Cultural Center to be build near Ground Zero is not breaking any laws and is to be allowed to continue being built. Many Americans are outraged by this. What are your thoughts and why? Was Obama right in saying what he said? Should he have said something different?

Edited to add: This thread is about Obama's comments, not about the actual Islamic center as there is already a thread on that. Please contain responses to center around what Obama said and how you feel about that. Thanks.

I think, and this is not to offend anyone it is my personal view. But I think most of what Obama has said so far in his presidency is nothing. The changes I see in America since his administration is only indecisiveness and bad decisions (when he actually makes any) for his own and other countries.

As for his comments to the Islamic Culture Center... I think truthfully it is a result of how the USA for so long has stood by and helped to protect Israel and is now trying to "please" all the Islamic's. I do not think those are Obama's words, but the stance of American Government and Freedom of Religion unlike Estonia who has Freedom FROM Religion.

Islam from reading a little research is a crude religion that smiles upon killing non-Muslims and is determined for world domination. Strapping a bomb on and killing 100's in a crowded square is commended. It is like Christianity or Paganism from 2000 years ago where killing was accepted as part of the religion, only this is 2000 years later and to Islamic's this is still acceptable where it is no longer acceptable in Christianity.

If I were American I too would be outraged.

Gavik

Registered Member
As for his comments to the Islamic Culture Center... I think truthfully it is a result of how the USA for so long has stood by and helped to protect Israel and is now trying to "please" all the Islamic's. I do not think those are Obama's words, but the stance of American Government and Freedom of Religion unlike Estonia who has Freedom FROM Religion.
The US government isn't sponsoring the construction.

Islam from reading a little research is a crude religion that smiles upon killing non-Muslims and is determined for world domination. Strapping a bomb on and killing 100's in a crowded square is commended. It is like Christianity or Paganism from 2000 years ago where killing was accepted as part of the religion, only this is 2000 years later and to Islamic's this is still acceptable where it is no longer acceptable in Christianity.

If I were American I too would be outraged.
NOW can I use the "Islamophobe" word without getting warned and censored? Oh can I please please please?

Because this post is literally the definition of Islamophobia. You're categorizing 1.4 billion people as violent or supporters of violence with no basis in reality.

As for the president's speech, once again a media shit storm has erupted because he tried to throw in a little nuance in the age of the 5 second sound bite.

First Obama said that the cultural center "should be allowed" to be built. Of course it should. It's the legal right of anyone to do this sort of thing.

Then he said "I won't comment on if it should be built." This isn't back pedaling. He was saying he will not get into a debate on whether it's a good idea for a mosque to be built there, regardless of legal right. Obama is correct again, as it isn't his place to make such a comment and would only further fuel this fake controversy.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Obama's words were completely appropriate and needed...the White House was originally saying that they'd leave the issue to New York, but his comments were necessary after the kind of inflammatory remarks coming out of people like Newt Gingrich.

Basically, what he said was totally in line with how the United States of America should be at its best. It's important that those of us who live here adhere to that, especially during the times of fear.

Zappa

Registered Member
Politically, he basically shot himself in the foot by commenting. Where are his advisers? Hillary was smart enough to avoid commenting. It wouldn't matter if he said for or against, it's too divisive of a topic to comment on for a politician trying to win votes for his party.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't understand how Obama's remarks were necessary or even why no one can see how this can be inflammatory or insensitive. I'm at a loss as to how Newt Gingrich's comments are inflammatory but wanting to build this center (is there NOWHERE else in New York that this can be built?) isn't.

Not wanting this to be here has nothing to do with anything legal or unconstitutional so any comments regarding what we stand for and the freedoms we have to worship are superfluous.

He should just leave this up to New York, this isn't a federal issue and has nothing to do with the office of the presidency.

Gavik

Registered Member
I don't understand how Obama's remarks were necessary or even why no one can see how this can be inflammatory or insensitive. I'm at a loss as to how Newt Gingrich's comments are inflammatory but wanting to build this center (is there NOWHERE else in New York that this can be built?) isn't.
From the clips I've seen of his comments, he's said this shouldn't be built until there are churches in Saudi Arabia, which implies the US should have the same religious freedoms as SA.

That is essentially what Obama said in his statement.
This

Daemonic

Registered Member
People are outraged that the government isn't getting involved with putting up a religious building? Have these outraged people forgotten about the first amendment?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
From the clips I've seen of his comments, he's said this shouldn't be built until there are churches in Saudi Arabia, which implies the US should have the same religious freedoms as SA.
Or Saudi Arabia should have the same religious freedom as us. Nevertheless this is what I was referring to, from the OP:

President Obama recently issued a statement that the proposed Islamic Cultural Center to be build near Ground Zero is not breaking any laws and is to be allowed to continue being built.
People are outraged that the government isn't getting involved with putting up a religious building? Have these outraged people forgotten about the first amendment?
As has been explained, the First Amendment doesn't apply. Noone is arguing they can't practice their religion.

EDIT: Forget it, my mistake. I misread your post the first time I read it.

Last edited: