Obama's approval ratings fall to near Bush's worst levels

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm still waiting to see the changes that he kept talking about. I'm not at all surprised that his approval ratings keep falling. I don't think that he's a very strong president at all. And most of the people in his cabinet are just as bad, too.

I'm still shuddering when I think that Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker of the House, Janet Nepalatano is the Homeland Security Secretary, and Hilary Clinton is the Secretary of State. Gives me the willies.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Let me just ask this question, do you believe that John McCain would of done a better job thus far if he was the President instead of Obama?

Obama became President when the US was already in a big hole to start with.

4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I think McCain would have handled the situations differently, but I don't know if it would have been for better or for worse. But to constantly blame every problem that you come upon on the last president is just a cop out answer. That's like saying, "Well, I can't fix anything or do anything of mild importance because everything is too broken already." When what should be said is "Yea, we're in a bad situation, but I'm the president now, and it's my responsibility to make sure we make it out of this hole."

5. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Yes, I'm sure he would have in these important areas: supreme court nominees, appointment of radicals & scofflaws to positions of high power, unpresidented expansion of federal government, records spending, just to name a few.

Obama has tripled the size and depth of the hole.

Hiei likes this.
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

How do you know for a fact that he would of made things better? That's what I'm trying to get out of you guys. It's easy to blame the current President, like it was easy to blame Bush for a lot of things. But how do you know that one person(in this instance McCain) would of done a better job as the leader of your country?

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think that's a fair question but it's hard to answer. I think McCain would have done a better job as far as Supreme Court nominees and other appointments. I don't know about the economy because frankly the blame for the economy has more to do with government regulation, ie, the housing bubble bursting, than it has to do with Bush's policies.

But really this a reflection of how Obama has done as a president not really who would be better. I agree in large part his presidency thus far has been a failure. Although Clinton's approval ratings weren't high at this point either and the Republicans won both the House and the Senate in '94 and Clinton won reelection in '96. And looking at his presidency in hindsight he did a pretty good job overall, although I would credit the Republican led Congress for some of that.

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

McCain would have almost certainly been better in some ways and worse in others - that's just how things tend to be.

As was mentioned - the people Obama's nominated really stick out to me. I expected him to nominate people that I completely disagree with to almost every position he could, which I don't like, but I can't really complain about. But instead he's nominated lots of people who had to decline due to tax problems, or who had numerous other questionable ethical issues.

It's probably fairly common for a few questionable nominees to occur. It just seems like Obama took it to a whole new level. Which I find odd because there are tons of completely qualified people who agree with Obama - why select so many poor choices? It doesn't make sense.

9. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I think McCain would be in the same situation; when people are in an incredibly tough economic situation and still at war, it's going to reflect poorly on the President's approval ratings. Regardless of the President and his/her party.

10. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

You didn't ask if McCain could make things better, you asked if he would have done a better job. I believe I answered that question and provided a few of the many reasons that I hold that opinion. It is not because I'm a McCain supporter (I'm NOT! :) but even the RINO McCain would not have set out to fundamentally change america to fit his radical redistributive ideology.
    ------
    Like this:
    Deficit in July Totals $165.04 Billion - WSJ.com

And this: News Headlines

Resulting in things like this: News
    ------
    And when a loaf of bread costs $10 and we dream of the days we paid "only $3 a gallon for gas, don't say you weren't warned of the direction we are headed: News Headlines

If you think that's good then Obama is your guy. He will make us all equal (ly poor, except the ruling class of course!).

He didn't inherit redistribution, he is implementing and imposing it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010