• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obamalogic = fail

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Obama's been giving this speech at all of the Congressional stumps the past few weeks:
YouTube - Obama on GOP: I don't want to give them the keys back. They

His speech is the Republicans drove the car into the ditch and the Democrats got it out while the Republicans stood by and did nothing. First, Obama needs to hire his speechwriters from 2008 because this is just horrible, but beyond that it makes no sense.

Obama is campaigning to save the Congressional majority that was gained in 2006, so according to his analogy we would need to set 2006 as the water-mark. That is the year according to Obama that "Republicans drove the car into the ditch". In 2006, we had historically low unemployment of 4.7%. We also had a horrendous debt of $8.2 Trillion. source and source. So by campaigning against that, Obama is saying that the current unemployment of 10% is better than the 2006 rate of 4.7% and the current debt of $13T is less than the 2006 debt of $8T. :confused:

If Obama was campaigning to me, I'd personally feel like my intelligence was insulted. Obama's a smart guy and I'd think he could come up with something better than this.

dDave

V.I.P.
It should be more like they got it into the rumble strip. Then the Dems come along and freak out that the car is shaking, rather than making a slight adjustment they veer too hard to the right then they flip the car into the ditch, then they push it and claim that it's out of the ditch (even though they accidentally pushed it more into the ditch) then they proceed to blame it on the Republicans who put it on the rumble strip.

I think that's what he meant to say. :lol:

Unfortunately neither party is good however it's very clear that one of them is significantly worse than the other.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I heard this today and it is probably the dumbest analogy I have ever heard. Driving a car is a single action, something done by one person. Passing policy is done by many no matter what party controls the White House at any given time. According to this analogy the Democrats had ZERO input in any policy that led to the economic problems we've had, even though there were Democrats in the House and Senate and won the mid-term elections in '06, voted on policy, passed legislation, etc....the analogy is just flat-out stupid.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I heard this today and it is probably the dumbest analogy I have ever heard. Driving a car is a single action, something done by one person. Passing policy is done by many no matter what party controls the White House at any given time. According to this analogy the Democrats had ZERO input in any policy that led to the economic problems we've had, even though there were Democrats in the House and Senate and won the mid-term elections in '06, voted on policy, passed legislation, etc....the analogy is just flat-out stupid.
Right, and one could say since according to Obama the Congress has nothing to do with driving the car, the Democrats could lose every House and Senate seat and it wouldn't matter because the driver is still there.

Don't worry though, I heard last week that Obama is taping a segment with Jon Stewart. I'm sure Stewart will bring this up in his hard hitting, non-partisan interview. :lol:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Right, and one could say since according to Obama the Congress has nothing to do with driving the car, the Democrats could lose every House and Senate seat and it wouldn't matter because the driver is still there.
Good point, why campaign for Harry Reid, you're still driving the car Mr. President, Congress is obviously unable to interfere with your driving of the "car".

Don't worry though, I heard last week that Obama is taping a segment with Jon Stewart. I'm sure Stewart will bring this up in his hard hitting, non-partisan interview. :lol:
Oh, I'm so sure it will be. I wonder how obvious it will be that Stewart wished he could blow him right there on his show:lol:

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Obama doesn't write his own speeches. I think Rahm did at some point but he's back in Chitown now. But yeah, most of the speeches are dumb. Many seem like he's talking directly to Islam. Others scold Americans.

Sim

Registered Member
To be fair, it was under Bush's watch that the economy crashed, but I don't think politics in general has that big influence on the economy anyways. Not since market radicals have sold old the government to the markets and the mantra of privatization and deregulation is dominating discourse. The pessimist in me tells me we will have to pay a very high price for this complete sellout to the markets, and the complete self-decapacitation of politics soon: When the markets eventually fail completely, there is no means left any government could do anymore.

But back to Obama: He at least did something. He followed Keynesianist ideas of stimilus and bailing out banks. We don't know if that was a bad thing to do, or the best possible thing to do that saved us from an even greater crash. But of course he gets the blame now, even if what he did should have been the best possible course of action that saved us from a giant economic meltdown that would have been much worse than what we are seeing now.

So if anything can save Obama and the Dems from a defeat in the upcoming elections, it will be the radicalism of the right. The right cannot be taken seriously anymore: Never before, such a high degree of anti-intellectualism, rabid conspiracy theories, outright hatred and insane radicalism has been dominating the right. "Birthers", islamophobic cool aid drinkers, racists, religious fanatics, anti-government tin hat wearers and anti-intellectual scum whereever you look. People fall for populism and demagoguery that touts big words about "Constitution" and "values" without ever filling these empty words with substance, often even without the slightest rest of touch with reality and common sense. If America is not completely lost, and people still have at least remains of common sense and decency left, they will not vote for this kind of right wing in the next elections, which obviously has no substance to offer whatsoever, except populist radicalism and outright insane conspiracy theories.

The Democrats may have no answers and their policies may be wrong. But it should be more than obvious that the right has even much less of a plan or answers, they are completely bankrupt.

What's going on in America is really worrying me. It's not just an economic crisis, but a sober debate and discourse are even more bankrupt. Nobody has a good answer, so people turn to delusional radicalism even a blind man can see will only lead into a blind alley. If this trend continues, mark my words, we will see bloodshed.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Sim: :lol: when you go off the deep end! Your rants crack me up. This really must be an exaggeration of your true views as I know that you don't feel the way you espoused about those on the right as you do about me. I'll bet you don't feel that way about CO or MiT either. Yet we are far more representative of those on the right than any of the demonizing stereotypes that you wrote.

Obama is possibly the most unprepared president of recent times. He is an egg-headed educated/indoctrinated know-it-all that really knows little other than the drivel pounded in to his head by the Marxist, liberal, and/or progressive professors and elites that made his affirmative-action presidency possible. A complete underachiever put ahead in line simply because of race and ideology. He is the most divisive president that was elected in the spirit of unity and change for the better. He has delivered neither, nor is he interested in doing so. He is so power hungry and narcissistic that he it willing to destroy the party that brought him to power in order to promote his own adulation. He has truly taken the wheel of the car, driven through the ditch, and mired us and future generations in the swamp. Then he insults those that elected him to drive and blames those that warned him that it was just a bump in the road, don't go to far and floor it resulting in a "dukes of hazzard" leap from the ditch into the bog. Thank a bunch, boy genius!

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
MenInTights said:
In 2006, we had historically low unemployment of 4.7%.
Historically low? In 2000 the unemployment rate was 4%. Furthermore, unemployment is no longer on the rise, and the GDP growth rate is set to be up 4.1% from what it was last year. That's a pretty huge jump.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Obama is possibly the most unprepared president of recent times. He is an egg-headed educated/indoctrinated know-it-all that really knows little other than the drivel pounded in to his head by the Marxist, liberal, and/or progressive professors and elites that made his affirmative-action presidency possible. A complete underachiever put ahead in line simply because of race and ideology. He is the most divisive president that was elected in the spirit of unity and change for the better. He has delivered neither, nor is he interested in doing so. He is so power hungry and narcissistic that he it willing to destroy the party that brought him to power in order to promote his own adulation. He has truly taken the wheel of the car, driven through the ditch, and mired us and future generations in the swamp. Then he insults those that elected him to drive and blames those that warned him that it was just a bump in the road, don't go to far and floor it resulting in a "dukes of hazzard" leap from the ditch into the bog. Thank a bunch, boy genius!
See, this is why people dislike the right. Now I know you're one person SS and not entirely representative of an entire political ideology, but you're presenting a lot of tactics and style the republicans need to stop with. First, you open with a nice glob of insults. Nothing thoughtful or useful for intelligent or civil conversation for at least three sentences. Then, you blame others, in this case, the country (since you're blaming those who put him in power). You end with more baseless insults and pundit-isms and finally get to the topic at hand only to add nothing to the conversation. I realize this may sound somewhat like a personal attack but I assure you it's not. I just feel the need to state that this sort of commentary does nothing useful and it's not just the right that engages in this fruitless style of talk. There is most definitely a difference in the degree of aggressiveness from either side however.

Calling him divisive is kind of silly since the divide wasn't really his fault. The people have done a great job building that divide, a moat, and dumping rabid alligators high on crank into that moat. I mean, there has been so much more hatred for Obama than any recent president that it's gotten silly. Then finally we get some more drivel with no base (narcissistic, power hungry). Overall, there's nothing here that really drives a discussion and that's where a lot of republicans have failed recently. I mean, look at how many of them have been canceling debates lately. The people of this country have made it clear they want open communications with their leaders and it's clear those leaders don't care.

Even groups such as the tea party, a group claiming to be a voice of the people, is allowing itself to be purchased and run by the right wing extremists who in turn are joyriding it like a sixteen year old with a fresh license in his dad's new BMW. What I think the issue is here is that republicans are aware that the country is getting sick of corporate personhood and all the back door dealings in Washington. Problem is, they're trying to hide it. The democrats are too stupid to try and instead don't bother.

His speech was lame. A lot of his speeches have been lame. But here's the kicker: no president has given a decent speech in decades because of how the system works and how our country has begun to learn how to read, write and speak 'politician' fluently. Obama is a big disappointment, there's no doubt. He was the democrats' prodigy child who is turning out to be far to centrist for what they were expecting. He's allowing right wing policies to survives and throwing money at all our problems. The president, no matter his ideology, is supposed to have the support from those in Washington. Obama was a fresh face and he has not received the least bit of help from anyone so I sympathize with him a bit there but otherwise yes, he's been entirely useless. However, if the right wants a real chance at making some changes in this country (and not just to beat Obama) they need to do some of the work and own up to some of the problems.