• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obamacare RULED Unconstitutional!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Obamacare has now been ruled to be unconstitutional in its entirety:

Obamacare Declared Unconstitutional: Highlights from Judge Vinson’s Ruling - By Carrie Severino - Bench Memos - National Review Online

This means this law STOPS NOW! Not after appeal, not after the Supreme Court rules, RIGHT NOW!

But don't think that I am so naive that I think the Obama regime cares about the ruling or the Constitution, because they do not. They have no problem operating outside of the law and the Constitution that they swore an oath to uphold. This is already evidenced by the way they have ignored the court's ruling regarding off-shore drilling. This regime is out of control and in complete disregard of the law and the Constitution. If they decide to continue on this path you will know that they have taken over our system of the checks and balances of the three branches of our republic and intend to throw out the Constitution and make up the rules as they go.

That would be completely unacceptable and citizens may rise up against the tyranny.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I could be mistaken, but I thought this has been ruled unconstitutional 2-3 times, and constitutional a couple times as well. And that at least so far, it's still in place pending appeal.

qweerblue

Registered Member
Hahahaha, you're a happy fella, huh, SS?

A few questions, perhaps some more pertinent than others: First, did you freak out when the Bush regime thwarted the Constitution? I know this isn't the right thread to get into a big discussion of it, so I really am just asking--what was your response when the Bush regime blatantly and dangerously violated the Constitution numerous times?

Next, just a few quick observations:

(1) The argument that requiring citizens to buy health insurance is unconstitutional raises this question: is medicare unconstitutional? Workers are required to pay into social security and medicare systems during their working years. Now, some contend that the difference is that health insurance is private and that the health care legislation in question is forcing people to buy a product from a private company. But what of "Medicare advantage plans", which are sold and run by insurance companies as alternatives to traditional Medicare? This was supported and instituted by a Republican congress under Bush.

(2) Some point out that without this or other legislation, we will return to business as usual: folks without health care going to the emergency room for treatment. There is an argument to be made that the countless trips to the emergency room by countless uninsured US citizens is a factor in driving up health care prices. Do you agree that this is a problem, and do you have a solution for this?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I wanted to make a thread about this yesterday but could not find a link. It was weird.

Anyway, I agree with Judge Vinson's opinion. He goes through a good history of the Commerce Clause and how it's been reinterpreted. I think the Supremes are going to fasttrack this and should here arguments on it by the Fall.

I'm thinking this ruling is going to be upheld.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I read a lot of polls, etc. last semester that said most people - when asked about each specific point of The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - were fine with it....aside from the mandate itself.

I'm just curious to hear if everyone would be alright with the legislation's specific measures if the mandate was removed.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Hahahaha, you're a happy fella, huh, SS?

A few questions, perhaps some more pertinent than others: First, did you freak out when the Bush regime thwarted the Constitution? I know this isn't the right thread to get into a big discussion of it, so I really am just asking--what was your response when the Bush regime blatantly and dangerously violated the Constitution numerous times?

It's really argumentative that Bush violated the Constitution like many claim he did.

First, there is plenty of precedent regarding the use of the Commander-in-Chief Clause and how broad that power is going back since the beginning of the country. Secondly, many of those alleged abuses are examples of those who do not enjoy Constitutional protections to begin with. And lastly, someone else violating it has nothing to do with this instance.

Next, just a few quick observations:

(1) The argument that requiring citizens to buy health insurance is unconstitutional raises this question: is medicare unconstitutional? Workers are required to pay into social security and medicare systems during their working years. Now, some contend that the difference is that health insurance is private and that the health care legislation in question is forcing people to buy a product from a private company. But what of "Medicare advantage plans", which are sold and run by insurance companies as alternatives to traditional Medicare? This was supported and instituted by a Republican congress under Bush.
Generally, yes, I would argue social security and medicare are unconstitutional. I disagree with the holding of Helvering v. Davis that held social security to be constitutional.

(2) Some point out that without this or other legislation, we will return to business as usual: folks without health care going to the emergency room for treatment. There is an argument to be made that the countless trips to the emergency room by countless uninsured US citizens is a factor in driving up health care prices. Do you agree that this is a problem, and do you have a solution for this?
Yes this is a problem, not one that is relevant to whether Obamacare is constitutional or not, however.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
For all referencing prior rulings: this is not like some game where the score is now even at 2 - 2. This court's ruling is that the entire law is unconstitutional. That means it is unlawful and can not be enacted or enforced at this point.