• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama Wants To Increase Internet Wiretapping

Wade8813

Registered Member
This isn't a push for the government to have permission to monitor us - it's a push for the government to be capable of monitoring someone it already has permission to monitor.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Honestly, I'd be more surprised if they're not already doing this. Every form of communication has to be sent to a satellite, recorded, then sent back to wherever it's going. Big Brother isn't coming soon, he's been here for a long time. It's just that we're just now getting to hear about it.

With all the technology that there is today, we really are living in the future where everything can pick up what's going on and record it. The new Droid acts as a hot spot that automatically connects other people to the internet so that even more information can be recorded.

Double-R

Registered Member
Here's the thing that kinda gets me. We have all of these secure protocols like SSL, SSH, TLS and so on. Plus, we've found a way to encrypt data transmitted in normally insecure protocols like HTTP and RDP by way of SSL. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this but, wouldn't it slightly un-nerve someone to know that encryption could be reversed while information is still in transit or could be intercepted at any hop along the network for decryption?

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing to hide but doesn't this kind of undermine - if not defeat - the purpose of data encryption protocols and why they are available on the net in the first place? Wouldn't this eavesdropping re-open at least some of the vulnerabilities that these protocols protect against?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Here's the thing that kinda gets me. We have all of these secure protocols like SSL, SSH, TLS and so on. Plus, we've found a way to encrypt data transmitted in normally insecure protocols like HTTP and RDP by way of SSL. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this but, wouldn't it slightly un-nerve someone to know that encryption could be reversed while information is still in transit or could be intercepted at any hop along the network for decryption?

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing to hide but doesn't this kind of undermine - if not defeat - the purpose of data encryption protocols and why they are available on the net in the first place? Wouldn't this eavesdropping re-open at least some of the vulnerabilities that these protocols protect against?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Creating a back-door for the government to be able to use sounds like it would be creating a back-door that any hacker could use.

Double-R

Registered Member
Thank you! The Government has been known to somehow "unknowingly disseminate" information that sensitive. That's all we need right now. Its bad enough that our network infrastructure is all swiss-cheesed up because of how far behind we are in terms of IT security.