Obama wants kids in school a lot longer

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Wade8813, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Obama Supports Curtailing Students' Summer Vacation

Apparently, some schools are already testing things out - they're looking at ~3 more hours a day and/or cutting some of summer vacation.

If he plans to be re-elected in 4 years, he may have just lost all the votes of kids 14-18... :lol:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009

2. justwondering

justwondering Registered Member

three more hours a day...its already a long day for the kids...i can understand making the school year longer but the days longer is a little 2 much

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

A longer school day is a poor idea, but a shorter vacation time sounds much better. I think Obama is right though, we're trailing others around the globe and I think it's because when you look at it, we get a lot of time off.

4. Wade8813

I think our biggest problem (other than schools that are messed up due to lack of money) is that schools tend to be incapable of matching the material to the students' needs. The smartest kids are bored to tears, and the less gifted students are struggling to keep up. On top of that, they spend hours going over things that are useless, or nearly useless, and many of the things that are useful, they don't explain why it's useful, so kids don't pay attention.

I'm not convinced that we need more education like that.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

China has year round school and they have one of the highest suicide rates of kids under 10 years old in the world. Just something to chew on..

He wants to do this most likely so kids are in school for the same hours that their parents are at work. Plenty of kids have a hard enough time sitting through 6 or 7 hours of school a day. Adding more hours is not the solution. Sure if school was nothing more than daycare then it would make sense to have the hours coincide with work hours, but it's supposed to be a learning environment. You have to take that into account. Obama's solution basically focuses primarily on helping parents save money on daycare and after school programs.

6. Wade8813

That'd be interesting - government subsidized daycare!

7. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I just wanna say that this year the school days at my high school are 7:30 to 1:30 and they were, for me, 7:15 to 2:15.

8. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

Yeah....I heard about this last night when I was watching the news. Of course the station only interviewed elementary school students on this so most of them were like "I love school. Its so much fun. I would love to be there longer"...wait until they get to high schools, actually middle school if they go to one of the tougher ones.

In middle school the day lasted from 8-4, so 8 hours. And then we had about 2 hours of homework.

Then at my first first high school the day went from 8-2:50 most days and then once a week it would be 1:50 and then once a week longer because I had a lab period last. Then I would get 3+ hours of homework.

2nd high school: 7:45-2:15 and 3 hours of homework.

NOW I would love for my current school to have a longer day. It only goes from 8:30-12:30 but that's because most of the kids have issues that just make it so that they cant be at school because they have to work and have a whole slew of problems going on at home. And we dont get that much homework because of the same reasons. Like what my teacher told me when I complained about not getting homework on the weekends "its hard to give homework to someone who lives in a homeless shelter because its going to be the last thing on their mind"

So yeah, i dont think that its a good day to increase the school day. It would drive older kids crazy. And cutting down vacations....hell no. That time off actually serves us some good in helping us like get things back on track. Mentally, while I LOVE LOVE LOVE school, I dont know what I would do if I had to go for more than 180 days.

9. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

If the school systems add the daycare option after school hours, it could be good. A place where there is no compulsory need to participate in after school activities at school, either like more homework time, or social games. Nothing too heavy to make the children groan and get frustrated at the idea of having to stay at school.
    That takes care of school daycare.
    As to cutting the summer vacation, that's recommended too, since too much time on your hands is not good, especially if you are really bored.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So then what do you propose to help education? If you don't believe in increasing hours or days, would you agree if they doubled the work load?

Something has to be done to help us catch up with the rest of the world.