• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama to propose new oil tax

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A new White House plan to combat climate change and update transportation systems would impose a fee of $10 per barrel of oil to fund $300 billion in spending over the next decade. President Barack Obama is expected to make his case to Congress next week.
Obama to propose new oil tax to fund $300 billion in transportation spending

We already pay enough taxes on oil at the pump. This will add about 25 cents a gallon at the pump on top of that. I think a tax like this will hurt the economy ever further. I hope congress doesn't go along with it and of course he doesn't get out his pen and do it anyway.

Thoughts?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't mind this tax because gas is so cheap right now. I'm fine with gas prices as long as they stay under $2.50 a gallon. We need to fund his projects somehow.

The real issue here is that this will never, ever pass with the Republican controlled Congress.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe its cheap now but I bet it doesn't stay that way. Once a tax is added on it usually stays.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's only a matter of time before gas prices go up again. Hopefully this proposal won't make it through Congress.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You would think Obama would stop and think that a tax like this would hurt low wage workers.