• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama to desegregate neighborhoods

dDave

V.I.P.
Obama administration using housing department in effort to diversify neighborhoods | Fox News

I heard about this today and honestly it really bothers me.

Does Obama really believe that this will fix any problems?

The policy is called, "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing." It will require HUD to gather data on segregation and discrimination in every single neighborhood and try to remedy it.
So now we're going to tell people where they can and can't live all in the name of racism?

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There are already laws in place that prohibit discrimination when buying a home or renting. People live in certain places because of 1) income levels and 2) where they feel comfortable living. I don't believe this is the intent of this Act, the intent is to give opportunities to people to buy houses they can't afford based on race, and I agree this goes down the road of social engineering. This is like the regulatory changes made to the Community Reinvestment Act during the Clinton administration that in large part led to the housing market bubble crash. This too will crash if implemented in about 10 years or so. And I predict a retired Barack Obama will blame George W. Bush for it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So now HUD is going to remedy segregation and discrimination. What if the people don't want to move are they going to force them to. Are neighborhoods going to be mansion, shack, middle class house, mobile home or will the tax payers get to pick up the difference for a $200,000 house for someone that can only afford a $60,000 house. I'm wondering how this is going to work.

People buy houses where they do because that is all they can afford. There are already anti discrimination laws in place. If you have the money you can live anywhere you want right now.

You can put someone poor in a nice middle or upper class house if you want but if they don't have the money for maintenance it won't be a nice house for long. Also if they do this the wealthier people aren't going to stay there.