Obama to Appear on Jay Leno Tonight

What do you think about Obama appearing on Jay Leno as sitting president?

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on Obama appearing on Jay Leno? He will be the first sitting president to appear on such a show ever.

Jay Leno becomes part of Barack Obama's bailout - Los Angeles Times

With all the talk of AIG wasting money, isn't a bit hypocritical to spend a lot of money to go out and be an entertainer? It's not like his access to press releases is lacking. Jay will ask him about how it feels to be president of course and he'll laugh about it, blah blah, so on and so forth. This is presidential? In doing this, he comes across as a little too laid back while millions of Americans are struggling.

Personally I think it comes across as disconnected. You can argue that he is trying to connect with the people by appearing on this show, but do people connect with Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie when they appear on such shows? No. If anything it just reminds people how distant they really are from such "celebrity status".

I think it shows a lack of seriousness for the job he was elected to do. I am not impressed with this stunt.

If we wanted Paris Hilton to be president we would have elected her.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
meh... I've said this since the Primaries during the campaign season. Obama is most defintely a Rockstar Candidate. Well now that he's President, he's a Rockstar President. Lets be serious, People voted him in for change... not for his policies. Much like the random screenings proved... more often than not people didnt even know his policies vs. McCains. Given yes there are some polticially knowledgable voters out there, but I'd say he definitely swung alot of the "cattle" voters his way just by being the Medias golden child.

This will definitely not be the last time we see him doing this kind of thing. I mean with him so far its been Photo Op after Photo Op... he knows he's a hot commodity and he's going to exploit that. To be honest I dont blame him. Whether its the right decision or not, meh I dont know (more like I dont want to choose a stance :hah:)

But lets just say like this, and I'm going to bring this home to my level for the moment. In the NHL Rookie draft in 2004 there were two major names; Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. Crosby is the media and the NHL's golden boy, they love him and they are trying everything they can to make him the face of the NHL. Much like now we see Obama and he is the face of Change via media influence and force feeding. But the funny thing is, everyone has their own opinions on both of these Players, and it always comes down to:

who looks more like a hockey player to you?

edit: sorry I forgot to finish this. But the point I'm trying to make is, one of those players leaves it out on the ice every game and he busts his ass non-stop. The media doesnt not like him, but they dont treat him like royalty either. The other is treated like Royalty and is damn good on the ice. But comparing one to the other is like comparing apples to oranges. Its all just a matter of whether you find the GQ guy vs. the Results guy.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Would you rather he appeared on Oprah? :)

During the campaign, I read an article on how the candidates reached out to voters using media, like TV appearances on shows that were not explored in previous elections. If people saw them casually like that and voted for them, they probably won't mind seeing them again in the same manner after winning. Perhaps the TV shows still have some connection advantage to offer so why not use it while it still works.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really think it's a good idea or a bad idea. Saying he's a little too laid back is kind of ridiculous. Do you want a confident president, or one who panics during times of crisis? A confident, laid back president will put people more at ease. Honestly Hybrix, I think you're just looking for reasons to hate the guy. It's one thing to disagree with his policies, but now you're attacking his character.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I saw a headline on yahoo and I was like Oh, maybe it's Michelle Obama and when I read the article, it is Barack Obama. I was pretty shocked to hear that he is going to appear on the tonight show. I agree that it shows that he is laid back and is not taking his job seriously. A few weeks ago, he went to a Washing Wizards game because they were playing Chicago. Seems like he is trying to make history big time. First african american president and now first sitting president to be on a talk show.

I think his next appearance is going to be on WWE. :D

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree that it shows that he is laid back and is not taking his job seriously. A few weeks ago, he went to a Washing Wizards game because they were playing Chicago.
Presidents shouldn't go to sporting events? Should they not be allowed to live either? Bush went to a lot of sporting events.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
It's just part of Obama's governing method. He's a good "tv president" so he's using that to his advantage to drum up support for what he's trying to do and whatnot. Psychology plays an absolutely huge role in the economy, so perhaps seeing the president laid back will have the effect of chilling other folks out a bit. Of course it's going to draw some fire, but anything Obama does is going to be analyzed to death.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't really think it's a good idea or a bad idea. Saying he's a little too laid back is kind of ridiculous. Do you want a confident president, or one who panics during times of crisis? A confident, laid back president will put people more at ease. Honestly Hybrix, I think you're just looking for reasons to hate the guy. It's one thing to disagree with his policies, but now you're attacking his character.
Everybody is free to form their own opinions of course. I for one think this stunt simply shows that his priorities are out of whack.

It's as if he thinks he just won "Presidential Apprentice" or "Presidential Idol" or something.
------
Of course it's going to draw some fire, but anything Obama does is going to be analyzed to death.
Not necessarily. A lot of the media treated him with kid gloves once he was the official Democratic nominee.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Everybody is free to form their own opinions of course. I for one think this stunt simply shows that his priorities are out of whack.

It's as if he thinks he just won "Presidential Apprentice" or "Presidential Idol" or something.
I'm sure you would feel differently if this was President Sarah Palin, who was more of a celebrity during the campaign than Obama was.