• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama supports Gay Marriage

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm glad he has done that. If it is left up to the republicans gays would be hung out to dry. I'm not gay and doubt I ever will be but that doesn't give me the right to tell others that are they can't marry or have the benefits of marriage.

If you are hospitalized it's not right that someone can keep your partner from seeing you. If your partner needs a decision made about their welfare you should be able to do that for them if that is what they want. There are so many other things that would benifit gays by being married that I can't go into them all.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What are the implications of his overt support for gay marriage?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure everyone was convinced Obama was pretty much completely pro-gay when they first elected him. Then because of his actions, they decided maybe he was full of it. Suddenly, when he says something during election time, they'll forget everything he's done before...?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Interesting how he comes out like this so close to an election, AFTER he's lost the Democratic majority he had in Congress and actually had a chance to do something about it. He ignored this issue for 3 1/2 years but now that it's election time suddenly he supports gay marriage 100%, and the mindless drones fall for it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
That's where I'm going with my question. Is he saying it now because there's a current legislation being debated, and his overt support will help sway votes? Because yep, he's been there for several years, why the statement at this point?

In related matters, our new president is also openly for gay marriage and it's in his projects to propose a bill legalising it. But then, he's just elected and won't be officially sitting until next week. It makes sense he made the declaration and project prior to elections.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's where I'm going with my question. Is he saying it now because there's a current legislation being debated, and his overt support will help sway votes? Because yep, he's been there for several years, why the statement at this point?

In related matters, our new president is also openly for gay marriage and it's in his projects to propose a bill legalising it. But then, he's just elected and won't be officially sitting until next week. It makes sense he made the declaration and project prior to elections.
He's doing it now because he's lost a lot of his base and if reelected, if he can't get anything done, and he likely doesn't care whether he can or not, he can just blame the Republican Party.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think now is a good time to do it, politically, because it's not some October surprise that is going to rub people's raw nerves before the election. Voters are going to have time to think about this and absorb it, which is critical for those who are leaning toward same-sex marriage being OK, but aren't quite sure yet.

Also, at the end of the day, does it really matter that he's only saying it now? The bottom line is that he supports same-sex marriage, which he stood for back in '96 FWIW.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes it does matter that he is saying it now at the end of the day. IF he pushed for this early on and still lost and it hurt him politically, at least we can say he's a man of his convictions. Saying it now, making it a political issue during an election year, is typical pandering, which is hardly "Hope" and "Change" but is exactly what every other politician has done.

There's nothing to see here ladies and gentlemen, just more snake oil.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's genius. Not everyone is going to fall for it but the timing of it makes perfect sense and I applaud Obama for doing it.

Regardless of the reelection stuff it's still a good sign and a good thing to get out in the public.