• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama sends pallets of money to Iran

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Obama administration denies $400M cash payment to Iran was ransom for hostages

REPORT: Obama Admin Airlifted $400,000,000 to Iran as Americans Freed - Breitbart

Wow! Watch State Dept. Spokesperson LIE About Sending Iran Ransom in Unmarked Plane (VIDEO)

This is suppose to be payback for arms paid for by the Shah but never delivered. However I'm wondering if we just paid ransom for the release of American's held by Iran. Sure seems that way and this was just the first payment on 1.7 billion dollars.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Seems funny though this was paid just before the hostages were released.

Impaired

Registered Member
Lying is great - there are so many ways to do it. The media is very good at it.

Like say, giving a country back it's own money and calling it a payment. It was Iran's money we blocked them from touching.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Lying is great - there are so many ways to do it. The media is very good at it.

Like say, giving a country back it's own money and calling it a payment. It was Iran's money we blocked them from touching.
Or like saying repeatedly that the money was not given as ransom but then having to admit what we all knew (even you), that it was.
http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/state-...-iran-was-contingent-on-us-prisoners-release/

Here's some advice: Don't travel to mid-Eastern countries. Paying ransom leads to more of the same.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've gotten where I don't care for Obama at all after the lies to get the Iran deal among other things. However another thought I have on this is if we were going to have to give the money back anyway shouldn't we have used it for leverage to get the hostages back. Now if we only gave it back to get the hostages released then that would be ransom and wrong.

I agree, stay out of certain countries if you don't want to be a hostage.

Impaired

Registered Member
Or like saying repeatedly that the money was not given as ransom but then having to admit what we all knew (even you), that it was.
http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/state-...-iran-was-contingent-on-us-prisoners-release/

Here's some advice: Don't travel to mid-Eastern countries. Paying ransom leads to more of the same.
Here's advice for you - don't pretend to know what others think. It is rude and you're wrong.

There are people who learn from history. . . .

You can question the timing all you like and look for hidden motives. This is right and proper.

However, it was IRAN'S money. That's a fact.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The Shah paid us the money before he was overthrown for not being Islamic enough. He didn't see a problem with women wearing pants and he wasn't into stoning homosexuals. Then the Ayatollah demanded the money back. By some incredible coincidence, we decided to give them the money back after 37 years and in the most incredible coincidence in human history the money arrived within 1 hour of the hostages leaving.
Yeah it had nothing to do with ransom. Just the most incredible set of coincidences in 6000 years of human history.

Impaired

Registered Member
The Shah paid us the money before he was overthrown for not being Islamic enough. He didn't see a problem with women wearing pants and he wasn't into stoning homosexuals. Then the Ayatollah demanded the money back. By some incredible coincidence, we decided to give them the money back after 37 years and in the most incredible coincidence in human history the money arrived within 1 hour of the hostages leaving.
Yeah it had nothing to do with ransom. Just the most incredible set of coincidences in 6000 years of human history.
Somebody said it was a coincidence?

Iran put $400 million into a fund. Their government was overthrown and we didn't like the new guys so we kept the money.

There's been an ongoing lawsuit where they have been trying to get their money back.

The only question is going to be how much interest we pay.

So WE decided to settle.

It surely looks as if the money was used as leverage as well.