Obama outraged over Muslim garb photo

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well if this isn't dirty politics I don't know what is.

Somebody, (Obama camp claims it was Clinton) has circulated photos of Obama wearing a turban and Kenyan traditional clothing while on a visit to Kenya in 2006.

The Raw Story | Obama camp blasts Clinton for 'Obama in Muslim garb' photo

As the article clearly points out, other politicians including Hillary and George W. Bush have dressed in local clothing when traveling to other countries.

I think Obama made a mistake by making a huge deal out of this. He should have just pointed out that other politicians have done the same thing on visits.

It was obviously aimed at feeding the rumors that he is secretly Muslim, which he has repeatedly denied.

I'm calling dirty politics. I think it was started by a random person though. I don't think Hillary is dumb enough to get involved with mud slinging like this. After all, anybody could have found the picture. It's been on the internet since 2006:

GEESKA AFRIKA MAGAZINE AND HAN- geeskaafrika.com

2. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

But the article says this wouldn't be the first time |:

Also, has Obama himself actually protested it that much?

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It's an obvious attempt at slinging the Muslim heritage card on him when he's simply wearing traditional Kenyan clothing.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

and George Bush is secretly a wizard. lol....

[​IMG]

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I can see him getting aggressive on it, since the Muslim accusation has been dogging him since the Washington Times article near the beginning of his candidacy. Maybe he went a bit nuclear, but I think it's best to be more aggressive rather than less. Standing firm against the various right-wingnuts is a good strategy, as Kerry let the Swiftboaters walk all over him four years ago.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Interesting that nearly every time there's an attack against Obama from Clinton it deals with his personal life, not the issues.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Clinton can't attack on the issues. She's 'Clinton-itized" every issue. Just today she was against NAFTA, even though she was for it a few months ago. She's been anti-war, pro-war. She's going to end abortion at one rally, she's going to push partial-term abortion at the next. The thing is, it doesn't work for her. As much as she tries, she's no Bill Clinton.

8. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

IMO the biggest reason for him to make an issue of this is that it plays on Clinton's reputation for nasty campaigning. This should be particularly effective at a time when Democratic primary voters are likely worried about splitting the party and weakening the eventual nominee against McCain.

Actually, her main attack recently has been that Obama is a lightweight who's policies lack substance, which is a pretty "on the issues" attack.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Then what about the one where she slammed him for that essay he wrote in kindergarten. What was that about?

10. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

I'm not denying that Clinton has attacked Obama for his personal life. My point is that she's recently moved away from that, and has mostly been criticizing Obama for his lack of experience, and for the lack of detailed policy proposals in his speeches. The kindergarten thing was back in December, when Clinton was considered the inevitable nominee.