Obama/McCain on Moral Failure

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Full story here: BBC NEWS | Americas | US rivals try to woo Christians
US presidential hopefuls John McCain and Barack Obama have been trying to woo Christian voters at a televised religious forum in California.

The two men shared a stage for the first time since securing nomination.
Speaking first, Mr Obama defended his support for abortion and same-sex civil unions, but said marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

Republican John McCain affirmed he was pro-life and that he strongly supported preserving the status of marriage.
The forum, hosted by US pastor Rick Warren, was the senators' last joint appearance before their official nomination as the candidates for November's presidential election at their respective party conventions in a few weeks.
Three debates are scheduled to take place after the Democrat and Republican conventions.

So according to Obama, the greatest moral failure of America was its insufficient help to the disadvantaged.

The Democratic candidate noted that the Bible had quoted Jesus as saying: "Whatever you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me." He said the maxim should apply to victims of poverty, sexism and racism.
He also supports same-sex civil unions (while saying "marriage should be a union between man and woman). He reaffirmed his pro-choice stance on abortion.

According to McCain, America's greatest moral shortcoming is its citizens' failure to devote themselves to causes greater than their self-interests.

Appearing to criticise President George W Bush, Mr McCain said that after 11 September 2001 there should have been a push to encourage people to join the army, Peace Corps and other voluntary organisations, rather than an official call to "go shopping".
He sees himself as pro-life president. He reaffirms his stance against abortion from the moment of conception. He also supports preserving the unique status of marriage between a man and a woman (he is against same sex marriages).

What do you think of their stance regarding moral failure of the US and on abortion/marriages?

Sim

Registered Member
It's funny how you can't win an election in America without involving religion (or interpreting it in public so it fits your stances).

Anyway, I like Obama's message. Poverty indeed is a serious problem in America, which only has rudimentary social welfare nets and where 60 million don't have health insurance. Also, both racial and sexual tolerance is a good thing.

McCain on the other hand, seems to be a ruthless militarist. Maybe Christianity is not a religion of peace, but of war and slaughter of innocents, depending on which quotes from the Bible you focus on -- but I have a hard time believing Jesus, who told people "to turn the other cheek" and who smashed the marchants' tables, was in favor of endless war. McCain seems to want people to fight and die.

But that's nothing new. Those had been the two candidates' stances even before they involved religion.

It's funny how you can't win an election in America without involving religion
Isn't that the truth. Something Bush managed to capitalize on twice with the redneck vote. Gotta love that pro-life, pro corporal punishment combo!

I'm glad to see Obamas consistency with his believes, even though it'll lose him some support. I can picture ol' yellow tooth Billy planting Mad Dog bumper stickers up right now.

I don't care too much what choices USA make for themselves but the ripples travel across the world. I only see war vs peace here and yet, after recent times, I still have huge doubts in mind over the outcome.

I saw none of the debate last night for obvious reasons, but it seems like their respective beliefs are exactly what I thought they'd be from both candidates.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I think labeling same-sex "unions" is not the best, but it's better than the nothing that McCain is promising.

Steerpike

Registered Member
Mr McCain also said he supported preserving "the unique status of marriage between a man and a woman" and that he was against the decision taken in some states to allow same-sex marriages.

"That doesn't mean people can't enter into legal agreements. That doesn't mean that they don't have the right of all citizens," he said.
Mr. McCain is either contradicting himself or equivocating.

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
An interesting note is when Warren asks them about a failure in their life, Obama talked about his drug use and his experimentation, and how it was his fault.

McCain said 'the failure of my marriage'. He didn't mention that he divorced his wife, who had waited faithfully for him while he was in Vietnam all those years, and recently after a bad accident, for a younger, blonde, very rich woman.

I think Obama took responsibility while McCain deflected it.