Obama = Lincoln 2.0?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Feb 19, 2009.

?

Is Barack Obama similar to Abraham Lincoln?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you think? Should Barack Obama be compared to Abraham Lincoln?

Is he "Lincoln 2.0" as he portrays himself?

Why or why not?

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

The only thing similar about the two of them is that they are from the same state. Lincoln was politically different then Obama in many ways... but hey, you never know, if the feds don't knock it off Obama may have to deal with another "civil war" with this New Hampshire resolution.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Nope not even close.

He's not proven anything yet. Once a year or two has gone by, we can approach this but I find it kind of racist to see him being compared to Lincoln in all honesty. Lincoln united a country by freeing the slaves and Obama is the first black president. He has no claim to fame other than that and it counts for nothing towards his presidency. I want him to show me that he's worth all this praise and enough time simply hasn't passed yet.

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I don't see any similarities between Lincoln and Obama. So why should they be compared?

The only connection I see is that thanks to Lincoln, slavery was ended. So without Lincoln, Obama could not have become President. But apart from that, I don't see a connection.

Also, it's way too early to evaluate Obama's presidency. We don't know yet whether he will be successful. Of course I am optimistic, I like Obama and keep my fingers crossed for him, for America and for us all.

If by the end of Obama's presidency, he will have successfully battled the economic crisis and recession, maybe he could be compared to FDR who defeated the recession in the 1930s with his "New Deal".

And I think it's not too early to compare Obama's charisma to JFK. JFK too enchated many, wanted "change", was popular among young people and had an overwhelming media echo. The same can be said about Obama already.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well it wasn't my idea to compare them. Obama has been doing everything he can to link himself with Lincoln, including taking the same train to DC, among other things. He's also being pitched as the one who will unite the nation.

Personally I've never seen the nation more divided than it is right now. (In my lifetime). Unless he has something up his sleeve to magically make half the nation do a 180 in their stances, I'm just not seeing it.

Interestingly enough, there are plenty of people who would argue that the "New Deal" prolonged the Great Depression.

6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I think all that is a nod to Lincoln at best, a tribute to show respect. As long as Obama has not successfully united the nation after a civil war, I don't think he is "Lincoln 2.0".

I think the blame for that must go to the rabid right, who constantly divided the nation by suggesting those who disagree with Bush, the neocons and theocons are "anti-American", "traitors", "enemies", "terrorist supporters". Bush probably was the by far most divisive President America has ever seen.

Obama, on the other side, is a uniter -- at least in rhetorics. Whether his policies will be the same, we will have to wait and see. But remember his speech? "There are American patriots who were FOR the Iraq war, and there are American patriots who were against the Iraq war." Obama also promised he wants to be a President for those who did not vote for him.

Of course, those are just retorics so far. But I am confident those were not just hollow words and Obama will at least try to heal the rifts.

Yes, I heard this claim too. But even if there is truth to it, I think it's safe to say the New Deal at least relieved the horrible social effects of the recession.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Yes. Obama is exactly like Abraham Lincoln. Except Obama has a different haircut.

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Crap, and here I thought it was that Lincoln was taller