• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama "leads" from behind!?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
The real leaders are usually the ones in the backstage, and never the puppets who just give the face, like most presidents.

If this is his case, then its a compliment, and far more efficient.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Steg: It seems more like a theory of human shields than one of leadership ;)

@ Maikeru: it seems we agree that Obama isn't much of a leader. Just the talking head that reads the teleprompter.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
If the United States is out in front, it becomes a movement of nations and armies, not of people. I support the US giving due assistance to true believers in the democratic ideal in these countries, but being out in front is not the way to make the Arab Spring flourish.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
If the United States is out in front, it becomes a movement of nations and armies, not of people. I support the US giving due assistance to true believers in the democratic ideal in these countries, but being out in front is not the way to make the Arab Spring flourish.
While I agree with what you wrote, this isn't about Obama or the US leading the world. It is about Obama's lack of leadership of the US, specifically in the area of a cohesive and comprehensive foreign policy and of his own administration.
------
@ Steg: yeah, I get it :) (sound of one hand clapping)

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Well, considering you haven't cited anything from the long-form article you cited, should I just take you at your word? Judging from what you actually have given me to read-

Obama instructed his staff to come up with “tailored,” “country by country” strategies on political reform. He told his advisers to challenge the traditional idea that stability in the Middle East always served U.S. interests. Obama wanted to weigh the risks of both “continued support for increasingly unpopular and repressive regimes” and a “strong push by the United States for reform.”
He seems to be leading in a forceful, direct way. By the way- this action he was taking was months before any of the events in Tunisia or Egypt, and was initiated by him, not others in the State Department.

His foreign policy seems to be cohesive and full of good leadership. It's not full of absolutes like Bush's, which makes it more complex to unravel- but that's not a bad thing. Bush's foreign policy was a disaster by every way one could measure it- Obama's is at worst mixed, leaning towards the good if you include things such as world perception of the United States.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I'm not all that concerned about world perception, but I think he has eroded confidence in US policy, especially among our allies. The daily flips and flops make him look like a fish out of water. Or a poor swimmer in over his head.

Just a look at the past few days and how the member of his administration are not only not on the same page, but often it appears they don't all have the same play book.

Osama - firefight, well not really; armed and resisted, not armed his existence was resistence; releasing photos, not releasing...

Libya - is our standard for intervention to prevent slaughter, then why aren't we preventing genocide elsewhere. Is the guy whose very own criticism of prior engagements to be held to his own standards? open a third open ended war in a country that poses little threat to US interests?

Egypt - one day orderly transition, later Mubarak must go, oh but wait a minute that would benefit the Muslim Brotherhood.

So if you ask me a good leader puts the right people in the right positions, makes sure they all understand the game plan, gets everybody on the same page, makes an informed decision, and executes the play. In my opinion even the people in his administration don't know what is happening, or even what has just happened. It also seems they have no idea what the next play will be.