Obama Invites Hamas to Peace Talks

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Obama has invited Hamas to take part in the peace talks he would like to have between Palestine and Israel.

In an apparent policy shift, President Obama on Thursday invited Hamas -- a designated terror organization -- to "play a role" in the future of the Palestinian people.

During his speech to the Muslim world in Cairo on Thursday, the U.S. president bluntly recognized the group, which has called for the destruction of Israel, in a two-sentence passage that was part of a broader discussion about the terms for peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

"Hamas does have support among some Palestinians, but they also have to recognize they have responsibilities. To play a role in fulfilling Palestinian aspirations, to unify the Palestinian people, Hamas must put an end to violence, recognize past agreements, recognize Israel's right to exist," Obama said.
Obama Overture to Hamas Suggests Inevitability of Terror Group's Dominance Among Palestinians - Political News - FOXNews.com

Hamas is a terrorist organization that has called for the destruction of Israel. Should they have a seat at the table when the leaders of these countries get together to discuss peace?

Bananas

Endangered Species
If the leaders of these countries are to meet then the leaders of Palestine must also attend for that sentence to even make sense.

They have more right to attend this meeting than Obama or any other world leader.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It's not about a right to attend, it's about Obama trying to find a peaceful resolution to the problem. How is a known terrorist organization that has called for the destruction of Israel going to add to that end? I say no, they shouldn't be invited to the discussion table.

Bananas

Endangered Species
How is a known terrorist organization that has called for the destruction of Israel going to add to that end? I say no, they shouldn't be invited to the discussion table.
Because they are the ones you have to make peace with for any resolution to work, how do you suggest doing that if you are unwilling to negotiate with them?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Because they are the ones you have to make peace with for any resolution to work, how do you suggest doing that if you are unwilling to negotiate with them?
Because Hamas is an organization, not a people or country. You can deal with the Palestinians and Israel and try to bridge peace without them. Groups like Hamas don't make deals. They have to be dealt with differently.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Because Hamas is an organization, not a people or country. You can deal with the Palestinians....
Who are these Palestinians you would like to deal with? Who represents them?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Given that Hamas is a democratically elected entity that controls half of the Palestinian territories, this is his only option. He can talk all he wants with Fatah, but Abbas only has sway with half of his territory.

Granted, if we actually gave Gaza humanitarian aid and opened their border with Egypt they wouldn't be reliant on Hamas and might elect a more flexible party in power, but this is the best immediate solution.

When did Hamas grow so powerful enough that they are able to have a say in anything? I thought we were suppose to be the world police and parent all the little bad boys and girls out there. Having them near, or on the same level as us to have them give a voice in anything is somewhat insane. Not only that, but it's hard to negotiate with somebody that has so much ill-will towards Israel.

My belief is that we shouldn't bend when it comes to Israel. We should protect them from any force that wants to take them down and giving Hamas any say in the matter is just crazy.