• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama: I'll act alone on immigration.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Obama: GOP failed to pass a ?darn? immigration bill - Seung Min Kim and Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

Obama to take executive action on immigration - CNN.com

Obama rips GOP on immigration, says he will act alone

Fist off, I stopped blaming people when I was about 10. It was a lesson my parents taught me and it's unbecoming of a full grown man to continue this pathetic blame game.

Secondly, I don't know whether to laugh or weep at the stupidity of these statements. We are being flooded with illegal immigrants right now. I've been there to deliver water and supplies. Catholic Charities is accepting donations and I'm getting more stuff to take to them. They aren't here because of a failure to reform any laws, they are here because our laws aren't being enforced. Every administration in the last 60 years or so has ignored the border issue and has ignored enforcing existing laws. To blame this on some failure to reform anything is stupid. We have a failure to enforce existing legislation, not a failure to reform anything. Whether we need reform is a seperate issue on the problems existing now.

Thirdly, I'll act on my own? How? Under what authority? Is there something about Article I Sec. I of the US Constitution that is confusing? Seems to be the language setting out all legislative powers is simple and written in plain English. I mean it's not written in Manderin Chinese where one wouldn't know what it is saying.

This whole administration is an embarrassment

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Yup. Basically, he said give me what I want or I will act on my own. He didn't get what he wanted so now he is going to act on his own. So separation of powers are important because....oh, they aren't. At least not according to this constitutional law professor who is destroying what is left of the constitution.

It absolutely blows my mind that this man taught constitutional law and someone was actually willing to pay him, even though he doesn't have any more respect for the constitution any more than a kid who's told not to sneak into the cookie jar.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I was in law school we had, just like every undergrad or grad school has, professors who had no idea what they were talking about and were pretty inept. That's exactly what comes to mind when I think of him teaching. A professor (and really he was a lecturer, not a professor) who was lazy and in over his head.

The thing is if he's sending more help or more agents to the border he has the authority to do so as Homeland Security falls under the Executive Branch, but what does that have to do with anyone not presenting reforms? That just means he's enforcing already existing law, so why the stupid shot at Republicans and/or the Tea Party? How are they responsible for HIM not enforcing existing law?

The only two possible conclusions are this man is a complete idiot who does not understand even the power he has OR it's just him politicizing an event YET AGAIN. Neither one is good with me and it's pathetic.

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't care if Obama was a Constitutional Lawyer/Professor, he has clearly forgotten what he once knew (if he knew it at all). Here's a tip Barack, you don't have the authority to act on your own.

There's a reason why something must go through both houses of Congress AND the Executive Branch before it becomes law.

I wish the checks and balances built into our system were working properly, we'd be rid of Obama so quickly, it would be marvelous.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
He has the authority to send more agents to the border so why don't he do that. That is what needs done and the ones that are here in the country illegally need deported. No one is keeping him from doing that.

Most republicans don't like this pathway to citizenship for illegals and I bet a lot of democrats don't like it either. That's why there has been no immigration reform and there won't be. At least I hope not. I hope he doesn't try to bypass congress with this.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
He has the authority to send more agents to the border so why don't he do that. That is what needs done and the ones that are here in the country illegally need deported. No one is keeping him from doing that.

Most republicans don't like this pathway to citizenship for illegals and I bet a lot of democrats don't like it either. That's why there has been no immigration reform and there won't be. At least I hope not. I hope he doesn't try to bypass congress with this.
He doesn't want to for political reasons. It boils down to this. The dumocraps support "immigration reform" aka, amnesty, because it simply means they will get more voters. The repukelicans, instead of insisting that the law simply be enforced, sit there whining at their base that they have to support amnesty as well so they can get some of the votes too. It's all politics. Most of those claiming they want amnesty because they "care" about people don't. They want more votes. Those who want the law enforced are painted as racist. The dumocraps will come out ahead getting more of the new voting pool. The country will move farther to the left. They will refuse to enforce the law again, thus building up a new pool of illegal potential voters. The people who want the law enforced will be called racists again. Amnesty will pass again. It's happened before. It seems to be a cycle.

We should be focusing on helping those who want to come here legally to do so. Even if we have to triple the budget for processing new legal immigrants, we would save money because we would have more people on the books paying taxes, and not just taking advantage of free government services. Enforce the law, secure the border, and massively increase the budget to process those who want to come here legally and we will all be better off. But the repukelicans and dumocraps don't seem to actually want to fix the problem.

Rant over.

dDave

V.I.P.

He's already said that he will do stuff on his own without congress, sounds to me like he wants to bypass congress.

Obama Plans Executive Action to Bolster Border Security - WSJ

Apparently his policies are going to help keep some illegals here? Uh, what?

He doesn't want to for political reasons. It boils down to this. The dumocraps support "immigration reform" aka, amnesty, because it simply means they will get more voters. The repukelicans, instead of insisting that the law simply be enforced, sit there whining at their base that they have to support amnesty as well so they can get some of the votes too. It's all politics. Most of those claiming they want amnesty because they "care" about people don't. They want more votes. Those who want the law enforced are painted as racist. The dumocraps will come out ahead getting more of the new voting pool. The country will move farther to the left. They will refuse to enforce the law again, thus building up a new pool of illegal potential voters. The people who want the law enforced will be called racists again. Amnesty will pass again. It's happened before. It seems to be a cycle.

We should be focusing on helping those who want to come here legally to do so. Even if we have to triple the budget for processing new legal immigrants, we would save money because we would have more people on the books paying taxes, and not just taking advantage of free government services. Enforce the law, secure the border, and massively increase the budget to process those who want to come here legally and we will all be better off. But the repukelicans and dumocraps don't seem to actually want to fix the problem.

Rant over.
Hopefully the Republicans will learn one day that we do not serve them but rather they serve us (I have no hope for the Democrats in Congress to learn that). We aren't going to support them in supporting immigration reform that involves granting amnesty to get more votes because we DO NOT want it and never will.

If we don't do something about illegal immigration soon then it could very well overwhelm the system. We keep talking about how much it's going to cost to really secure the border but don't forget the billions and billions spent every year to pay for healthcare for illegals, schooling, housing, etc. it's absurd that our government is corrupt enough to not act on this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We could build a big wall across the border that extents out into the ocean for a mile for what it cost us to take care of the illegals for the last decade.

We also have a high unemployment rate for unskilled workers already but yet we let more in and have been for decades.

This article is from 2013
But the only hard numbers being thrown around are from immigration reform critics like Sen. Jeff Sessions (R) of Alabama and low-immigrant advocacy groups like Numbers USA, who believe the current Senate bill could double the number of foreigners who gain legal residence over the next decade and add scores of low-skilled workers to an economy with persistently high unemployment.

Immigration reform: How many new immigrants are we talking about? - CSMonitor.com
Since the passing of the Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 6 million illegal aliens have received amnesty in the United States. The IRCA Amnesty was supposed to "wipe the slate clean" and instead it's lead to the current situation of 12-20 million illegal aliens living in the country.

The Seven Amnesties Passed by Congress
This needs to stop, you can't wipe the slate clean. Deport, deport, deport, no amnesty.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
He has the authority to send more agents to the border so why don't he do that.
I don't know how much it would help to send more agents to the border, at least to deal with the current crisis of children migrating into the country. From what I understand, most of them are not trying to sneak in. They are actually showing up at the border hoping for rescue.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes they are. They are literally walking up to Border Patrol vehicles and turning themselves in. They aren't hiding, they aren't trying to avoid getting caught, they are wanting to be taken by Border Patrol.

The answer here, to me, is to force Mexico to protect THEIR border. If they don't we can enact economic sanctions on them but until they actually protect their southern border we're going to keep seeing these South Americans coming in like this.