• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Obama considers executive action on gun background checks

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The script calls for another arrogant older white Republican, just as I suspected. According to my theory, the next POTUS after that will be democrat and will almost certainly be female. Let's see if my little conspiracy theory holds up. :D

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
The ongoing race for POTUS script is standard good cop bad cop. Making the public believe in no special order
A. The current POTUS/PARTY is bad for the country
A. The previous POTUS/PARTY was good for the country
A. A desire for the good old POTUS/PARTY
A. A new POTUS/PARTY is needed for the country

Of course we should all realize that the MSM neoconservative coalition(MNC) with their special loyalties control both PARTIES. And that every POTUS beginning with Reagan has been increasingly onerous toward the American people.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with your last paragraph Rapier and we need a new party but I have to disagree with our last president being a good one. Its been a long time since we have had a good president.

Rapier

V.I.P.
I agree with your last paragraph Rapier and we need a new party but I have to disagree with our last president being a good one. Its been a long time since we have had a good president.
I didn't say our last POTUS was a good one. I was saying how the script has worked/works.

And that every POTUS beginning with Reagan has been increasingly onerous toward the American people.

thealigator

Registered Member
Source: BBC

"US President Barack Obama is to widen background checks on buyers of firearms, in a series of measures to address gun violence.

The plans will be announced on Tuesday by the president, despite opposition from Congress to new gun laws. All sellers who operate online or at gun shows will be forced to conduct background checks on potential buyers. Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul said he would fight the executive actions "tooth and nail". And several of his Republican rivals said they would erase the measures "on day one" if they win the White House."

I knew that when someone tried to buy a gun from shops within the US background checks needed to be preformed to ensure that the person involved was in a position where they could purchase a weapon but I did not realise this did not happen online and to be honest I never even considered gunshows.
To me this makes sense though, if you have it for one why not for all? And is this really such a bad thing? Why is it not considered a good thing that people be checked upon before purchase? Would it not make it safer and surely if someone is in a legitimate position to purchase they have nothing to fear?

Further down in the article it goes onto show the experiance at a gun show:

"At a gun show - North America editor Jon Sopel
One charming man I spoke to had a stall of fine old pieces, including a Remington rifle from the 1970s. Because he wasn't registered, all I had to do was show him a driver's licence - and answer this question: am I a felon or mad?

Say no to that, and all I had to do was hand over the cash and the gun was mine with as much ammunition as I could carry. And as he pointed out to me, if I lied, how would he know?

There were also individuals walking around the show carrying rifles and revolvers, with flags coming out of the muzzle saying "for sale" - again no restrictions at all for people who just wanted to flog their old firearm.

These are some of the issues that the president wants to address with his executive action."

I find this worrying but do you obstruct this or feel this is a good thing?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Obama gave his little speech a few minutes ago. When talking about the Sandy Hook murders he started crying, which it is depressing thinking about small children being murdered.

I do agree though that there should be background checks even at gun shows or for online purchases. I do think there should be a easier way to do it though. Because a gun show won't be in town long enough for a background check so how will that work, could be the end of gun shows. Maybe you should be able to get preapproved then a dealer only has to go online to a government website to verify you have been approved.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't fathom why someone would oppose better background checks.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think most people are for background checks but its the little things thrown in that usually makes people upset. Like not letting anyone on the no fly list purchase a gun. Problem is people like Ted Kennedy and other innocents was put on this list and just try to find out who is on it, you won't.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I can't fathom why someone would oppose better background checks.
Better how? What leads you to believe they aren't thorough enough? Can you cite ONE recent tragedy that IF these "better background checks" were in effect, they wouldn't have happened? Tashveen Malik came into this country on an K-1 Visa, which you would expect has a more thorough background check than purchasing a gun, and it didn't stop her from doing what she did, did it? So what makes a "better background check" and how would it change anything?