Obama Assassination Threat

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This guy was arrested for threatening to assassinate Obama if he was elected.

Man held in Fla. for threatening Obama's life - Barack Obama News - MSNBC.com

I don't know what the charges are for threats like this but it can't be a good thing to have on your record. According to the article it was a fairly empty threat. He had not taken steps to carry this out although he does own several weapons and military gear according to "authorities".

I wonder if you can lose your right to bear arms for making threats, even if you claim to be joking around? I don't think you can actually.

The man denied making the threats later on after he was taken into custody but there were quite a few people who claimed to have heard him say "If he gets elected, I'll assassinate him myself."

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Obs, that video was hilarious. Is it really true you can't say those about the president or someone like Obama who is a candidate?

At which point in your elections do the candidates get special protection almost comparable to the secret service protection accorded to your president? Maybe that's why this guy was arrested...

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You have the freedom to say those things, but you have to realize what the consequences may be. Granted, it would be pretty dumb to start arresting people for threats (since most of them are empty ones anyways) but in a day and age where Americans are taught to be scared of everything, don't you think it's a pretty dumb idea to say something that . . I don't know, crazy?

Sim

Registered Member
When he has his flat full of guns and grenades, I think it's justified to pay attention to such a threat. You never know what these gun-crazies are up to.

I'm surprise there aren't more like these. As soon as I heard Obama was running I was thinking "Oh boy, the KKK are going to be back in the news making threats." Nope, I didn't hear anything about them. I just expected more people to be making threats towards Obama for whatever reason.

This guy is funny though, telling people what he's gonna do.

Guy: I'll tell you, but don't tell anybody, OK. LOLOLOL!!
Cop: Put your hands up.
Guy: HEEEEEY, who told you?

Gavik

Registered Member
I'm surprise there aren't more like these. As soon as I heard Obama was running I was thinking "Oh boy, the KKK are going to be back in the news making threats." Nope, I didn't hear anything about them. I just expected more people to be making threats towards Obama for whatever reason.
At this point the topic is still the elephant in the room, and hopefully it will stay unintroduced.

soot

Registered Member
I don't know what the charges are for threats like this but it can't be a good thing to have on your record.
In New Jersey it would be a charge of Making Terroristic Threats, a 3rd Degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

In a nut shell, any threat to kill another individual that can reasonably instill fear or terror in that individual can be charged under this law.