Obama and the rule of law

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by fleinn, Jun 28, 2009.

1. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    MenInTights likes this.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Good point by Maddow, pointing out that proposing prolonged preventative detention is indeed an ad hoc legal approach for fighting terrorism that he complained about with the previous administration.

Legal regime....pretty scary sounding words.

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Obama has a great respect for it as a Constitutional professor and thinker, however the Presidency has entrenched circumnavigations of the law. I think he's trying to restore it, but it's a very precarious position and will take great effort and ability.

4. CaptainObvious

I disagree, I don't think he has much respect for the Constitution at all. I don't think a great many in Washington do. President Obama, just like most presidents before him, is not beyond stretching the limits of presidential power articulated in Article II.

5. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

Got to agree. To be fair though, GWB once referred to the Constitution as "just a G**D*** piece of paper".

I think Obama respects Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez and others of their ilk much more than our own Constitution or those who have fought and died to preserve it.

6. CaptainObvious

Oh, I agree completely. GW was no Constitutional thinker and hardly respected it.

7. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As I said in another thread, I am still giving Obama the benefit of the doubt. If he cancelled all of the laws that allowed the Bush administration to piss on the Constitition, rape it, tear it to pieces and then flush it down the toilet -- if Obama cancelled all these laws Bush's shysters made, half of the Bush government would be on trial and likely condemned to prison for quite a while.

This would come across as partisan, and the whole right would scream bloody murder, claiming Obama is after revenge against Bush and the entire right. Obama would not politically survive that.

So even if he has good intentions, he simply cannot afford closing all the holes Bush ripped into the Constitution.

8. CaptainObvious

How exactly did the Bush administration do all those things to the Constitution? And I'm talking serious Constitutional violations, not allegations of "midnight kidnapping".

9. Sim

Sim Registered Member

All these extralegal renditions, torture and whatnot (which we have debated in other threads), which are not just "allegiations" but very well documented facts, do not only violate basically all basic articles of the Constitution, but also many international agreements the USA have signed.

Just like Hitler had his shyster Hans Frank, Bush had people like John Yoo (google him, if you don't know about him yet) who twisted and interpreted the Constitution in a manner that it actually means the opposite of what it says, and who said "Bush has the right to crush an innocent little boy's testicles, if that protects America, the Constitution says nothing against it".

If law and Constitution still mean anything at all in America, Bush, Yoo and all his ilk would face trial and condemned to life in prison for high treason and abuse of power. But it seems law doesn't mean much anymore, and even Obama can't fix that.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Yoo's opinions were never acted on. If I understood correctly what Maddow said, there will be people locked in prison for 10years+ because they might someday in the future commit a crime.