• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

O.J Mayo bump to #2 in 2007 class

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5539492

Hold the Mayo because we're giving plenty of Love. You heard it here first. Kevin Love, and not O.J. Mayo, is the best player in the Class of 2007. OK, it's just one man's opinion, but here are the facts.

Love is a new man. A year ago, he had to sit out the championship game of the Kingwood Classic because his knee was still bothering him.
Now he's in the best shape of his life. Gone is the knee brace. So too is the baby fat. He's far more mobile. He's working out twice a day and dieting.

Kevin Love will attend either UCLA or North Carolina in the fall of 2007. ( / Scout.com)

"I'm a completely different player," Love said. "With my body and my game."

The 6-foot-9, 260-pound Love may not be as dominating as this past season's numero uno, Greg Oden, on the defensive end in terms of his athleticism and shot-blocking abilities  but he's just as effective on the glass and is better on the offensive end because of his playmaking skills.

We're not selling short Oden's ability to pass out of double teams. It's just that Love may just be the best big man passer to come along  ever.

Whether it's a pinpoint bounce pass to a cutting Taylor King or a flick of the wrists on a 70-foot outlet to a leaking Brandon Jennings, Love has no peer.

One Hall of Fame college coach this past weekend even put him in the same sentence as Wes Unseld in terms of their all-around games.

"I think he's better than Greg Oden," said Duke-bound teammate Taylor King.

We're not taking anything away from Mayo, who is everyone's top-rated player. Well, maybe we are  but that's not the intent. Mayo has become a circus act of sorts. The traveling show made its way to Houston this past weekend because he said he wanted to win the Kingwood Classic  his "favorite tournament."

Come clean, O.J. If you wanted to win, why'd you hook up with the Miami Tropics? The only chance he had of winning this tournament was to join Love on the Southern Cal All-Stars.

Mayo is a terrific talent, but not only is he no LeBron, but he's not even the top player in the class. He has the ability to make people better, but Love is a better passer  even though he's a center and Mayo a point guard.

Mayo can shoot the ball from the perimeter, but Love is virtually unstoppable with a bevy of low-post moves that no one in the country possesses. Love can also step out and knock down shots from mid-range and even the perimeter. When it comes to defense, it's a non-story. Love simply dominates the boards while Mayo is an average defender.

While Mayo is the consensus No. 1 guy in the country, Love has a bigger impact on his team now and that will continue in college. If a high school or college coach could pick just one player from the class of 2007 to give him the best chance at winning, it'd have to be Kevin Love. The Lake Oswego, Ore. native is not just dominant, but he's also a team player and a winner  as was evidenced this past weekend.

There's a valid case in that Mayo is the better pro prospect, but that's far from a given, either.

"Sure, I'd like to be the number one guy," Love said. "But I respect O.J. He's a respectable number one player. He has so much to his game and is beyond his years."

Modesty aside, this writer's No. 1 vote goes to Kevin Love.

P

profe

I've seen a footage of both, Love and OJ, and its really hard to say who will eventually be the better player. Of course my knowledge about love is limited but the games I've seen OJ in... damn, he is gona be sensational player. He has the instinct and the brains, and the gift to become one of the elite players in the world. I dont know if Love has that. They're no LBJ's but its really hard to say which one will be a better player. But I still would draft mayo before love, just based on instinct. That could be a kwame size mistake but you never know. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens. And love may actually blow up and be the man to look of '07 class. I'm just hoping mayo goes to cincy, nothing else matters ;D

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lol I think he's probably going to Cincy because he is from Ohio. I agree I've seen a few footage of Love, and I've seen a few games for O.J Mayo and like you said he has the gift to become an all star in the NBA if he keeps practicing, and if he keeps practicing he will become better. I would also draft O.J Mayo before Kevin Love.

T

the.game

Love might be the better player in HS and on the college level but for a guy his size and without freakish athleticism, it's not going to be easy for him to replicate his dominance in the NBA. He's more polished now and could be a difference maker ala Elton Brand with better shot and passing skills but I don't think he'll have the same type of impact as a Greg Oden or OJ Mayo could potentially be capable of. That's not to say he won't be as good as the two more hyped players but success in the NBA has a lot to do with size and athleticism (there are exceptions) and that's something Oden and Mayo have plenty of.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tottaly agree with you, and yes Love did have an injury and now he's healthy, and he had a couple of games and he opened some eyes, but these two(Oden and MAyo) have been opening eyes since they first started high school, I still think Mayo is going to better.