O.H.L. to Announce New Helmet Rule on Fighting

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Jan 14, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I was listening to Home ice just now and heard about this:

Do you believe this will impact the NHL? Obviously any mark against fighting is one that I cringe at and when a Skater dies because of it... well ouch you know ripples will be made in the hockey world.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally believe the fighters should always remove their helmets before fighting, I know it's a major risk if someone falls and dies like Sanderson did, but it rarely happens.

I believe that a player as more chance breaking their hands when he punches a helmet then someone falling on the ice and get a concussion or die.

I doubt this rule will ever be in the NHL.

3. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

i agree completely. theres always a risk of injury or death in any sport but just because it happens once doesnt mean we have to change rules to cope with it. if it was an ongoing problem with too many injuries to be ignored i could see it then, but not now.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

by telling players to keep helmets on for fights is going to contribute to hand injuries. resulting in the potential for several missed games as opposed to one for removing the helmet.

i hope the NHL dismisses this idea completely.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Well i'd even heard of the Junior B league that does this:

YouTube - Junior "B" Hockey Fight

I mean, the helmet coming off is just part of the fight. Thinkign back to all the fights Ive seen either live, recaps, or anywhere else on the ice, a helmet just ends up getting in the way and causing trouble if its left to flop around.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i just thought of this...what if the strap is holding tight, the helmet could be used to choke out who your fighting. hows that better?