• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NY public schools get Muslim holidays off

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(CNN)New York City public schools will now observe two Muslim holidays, officials announced Wednesday, making the district -- the nation's biggest -- one of the few to put Islamic holy days on its calendar.

New York City public schools to have Muslim holidays off - CNN.com
NY isn't the only school to give Muslim holidays off. It has also been done by New Jersey, Massachusetts and Vermont. If you have that many Muslims in you school district that miss school on that day it might be a good move for them. The only thing is what about other religions like Hindu's, Sikhs and Buddhists, I'm sure they would like their religious holidays off too.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Well Christian holidays are recognized, so as long as Jewish and Hindu holy days are also recognized, Muslim holidays should be as well. Heck, just cancel school altogether. It'll be simpler that way. Kids are learning buggar all it seems anymore anyway. The fact that the US has dropped from the top 5, to like 156th or so in terms of quality of education among industrialized nations proves that education hasn't been a priority for a very long time, so why waste any more money on it?

The only lessons that are important for kids to learn nowadays is that tolerating everything is good, complaining is racist, Muslims are good and Christians are bad, Gay is cool and straight is boring, Racial minorities are important and Whites don't matter, and language is important only when talking about ethnic minorities or the Muslim faith, the rest of the time texting shorthand will suffice (even for job applications) ;) and that much can be taught at home for free by the media. Parents just need to make sure their kids get lots of TV viewing time, and time on social media to share what they've learned with their peers.

- Cham

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If they keep recognizing everyone's religious holidays we may as well close the schools. All they seem interested in is teaching tolerance anymore and not learning anything useful like the constitution or standing up for your rights. Tolerance may have its place but sometimes intolerance does too. Thankfully our founding fathers decided being tolerant wasn't getting them anywhere.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Founding fathers? Constitution? Rights??? You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and may be deemed racist and used against you. I challenge you to pick any University student at random and ask them to cite any 3 constitutional rights or any 3 of the founding fathers. See how many can actually do either. Nobody remembers or cares about that stuff anymore. It's ancient history. The only thing that matters is that you kiss Muslim and ethnic minority ass, oh and the asses of special interest groups. Not kissing their asses makes you a bigot. You're not a bigot are you? :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go donate my tax dollars to renovating school washrooms so the toilets don't face Mecca.

- Chameleon

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Founding fathers? Constitution? Rights??? You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and may be deemed racist and used against you. I challenge you to pick any University student at random and ask them to cite any 3 constitutional rights or any 3 of the founding fathers. See how many can actually do either. Nobody remembers or cares about that stuff anymore. It's ancient history. The only thing that matters is that you kiss Muslim and ethnic minority ass, oh and the asses of special interest groups. Not kissing their asses makes you a bigot. You're not a bigot are you? :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go donate my tax dollars to renovating school washrooms so the toilets don't face Mecca.

- Chameleon
Lol, pretty much every United States of American I know can recite most of the constitution.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'd say Touche because you're right in some way, but in a general sense you're just grossly over generalizing on all of your points. Back it up with some data, some links, some logic and I'd take you seriously. As it stands right now, you're just a guy with some opinions and fast typing hands, grandstanding on a forum. You probably have some valid points, but the way you present them is pretty sensationalized