NXT Debut: Official thread

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm really looking forward to this first show of NXT. Mostly because of The Miz and Daniel build up. It seems like the WWE will be pushing Daniel since he's been getting tons of attention from The Miz during the last two weeks or so.

But with that being said, there's a lot of other great FCW wrestlers and some even better mentors, so let's talk about the first show in this thread.

2. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I'm definitely looking forward to the show tonight...as I've said, it's always a lot of fun watching new talent get a chance to shine. Add the mentors and you've got an interesting show.

I guess the only thing I'm not 100% of is what it's going to be like. I want it to be wrestling, and if it revolves around the rookie/mentor thing that's just fine. I'm just worried it will be wrestlers making rookies do push-ups in the back or something :).

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I have no idea what to expect but for this first show I doubt we'll see much wrestling. I mean, will they be in an empty arena?

I guess that's the beauty in it...the unknown. WWE has done an awesome job promoting it. Hope its good.

4. Babe_Ruth

It was fun to see Daniel Bryan watching The Miz/Show vs Henry/MVP match. Can't wait to see him in a WWE ring.

I don't know what to expect from this show either, but like you said this is what's so exciting about the debut of this show.

5. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Opening segment with Miz and Bryan was almost surreal and was pretty damn awesome. I am sooooo behind this show purely based on being built around those 2. Miz is such a good personality and Bryan is already a hit imo, and "Tap or Snap" will grow on people. Dude needs a new haircut though. The internet favourite gimmick is also working well imo.

Cole was fucking awful. God, what happened to Striker on commentary or even that random black dude. His ranting agains the internet was really amusing/cringeworthy.

Obviously its early but Slater looked embarrassingly bad to the point where it was kind of comical. It's going to be tough for Christian trying to make him watchable. Tarver was solid and I hope they use his "real fighter" gimmick more.

Punk was also so much awesome and I already love his pairing just because of how he acts towards his rookie. "I don't understand why I'm here". Also I'm slightly disgusted at myself for how much I've enjoyed Truth as of late. Not so much as a wrestler, but as a personality. The match was ehhhh....

Jericho/Daniel Bryan was pretty solid, Bryan knew he had to impress and I think most would agree he accomplished that.

6. Babe_Ruth

I just curious as to some of the thought on the show was. We got a look at I believe 6 rookies and I believed they all showed ether some positives or extreme negatives. I wonder what some of your thoughts are on the rookies and what they could improve on or what some of their pros should be doing. I mean Pros should be doing because some of the pros are uninteresting but I guess you do need just flat out wrestling on there. I'll start first

Chris Jericho/Wade Barret - This is a pair that didn't get to much interaction and didn't show where the ties are but Wade seems like a guy that I could buy. He has a tough accent but I don't recall that stopping his smooth mic work and he presents him well. That being said, him are pretty odd as it looks as if it'll be the upper heel not caring for the smaller heel AT ALL. This could live up to something good or something bad if the clash doesn't work.

CM Punk/John Cena Darren Young - For obvious reasons, this pairing is funny as shit as the SES doesn't care for Young's party routines. I like the fact Punk doesn't want to be on the show at all and I guess that makes Young the jobber of the show because his Pro isn't willing to help at all. I guessing this will go on until Young accepts Straight Edge and cuts his hair CM Punk finally decides to mentor him. The big problem is that Young hasn't been given the opportunity to show his mic skills and his ring didn't look to good at all.

David Otunga/R-Truth - Otunga has shown some GREAT mic skills but his in ring skill, that we saw anyway, was pretty crappy. That being said, his presence is strong and I can see him getting far if his in ring picks up. No one can really say much about the pair except that it is a obvious Face Pro with a Rookie Heel. Don't know how this will work out but one episode sure doesn't tell us much.

Slater/Christian - Slater just makes me want to see him get his ass beat for some reason. Must be the hair, tights, or something but I'm itching to see someone beat his ass. If that's his intention then great but if not, he needs that fixed fast. Besides that, good promo skills but decent ring skills. I guess that is where Christian comes in and we'll see from there if Christian can help him improve on some of those attributes that he obviously isn't good at.

Daniel Bryan/Miz - I think this is the most best pair we have seen thus far as the personality clash is great. Miz is willing to work with Bryan to get over and Bryan seems to want to work with him on that...I really wonder what will be happen with these two next week especially after Miz jumped him this week. Daniels has shown that he is does have some weird promo awkwardness but when he gets going, he can hang. As for ring work, it says allot when Bryan is in the ring with the world champ and he is the one that DOESN'T botch. His appearance needs to be fixed but I reckon when the time comes, he'll change it. Great match with Jericho and I think out of everyone, thus far anyway, he will be the star.

Thoughts?

Here's an epic .gif from last nights show. Personally I can't stop looking at it.

[​IMG]

7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I thought it was an alright show, though it hink everybody will be watching to see how this Miz/Danielson thing unfolds. I'm glad that WWE are acknowledging that Danielson has won championships all around the world and he's been wrestling for 10 years. I was delighted to see Bryan takin on Jericho aswell, that's huge putting him in a match against the World Champion in his debut match.

None of the rookies stood out in a huge way for me but i guess they didn't get as much as a chance to make their mark a Danielson did. Looking forward to seeing Justin Gabriel on next week's show, what i've seen of him looks very promising.

8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

So what was supposed to happen with that Danielson suicide dive? Jericho looked like he moved his hips to throw him ONTO the table but maybe Im wrong. WWE.com has some nice close ups of that nasty abrasion he had.

I enjoyed the first show. The fact they are acknowledging there's wrestling outside of the WWE surprises the hell outta me.

9. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

Great show overall :) I definitely will be tuning in each week...I'm copying off of Babe's format, here:

Chris Jericho/Wade Barret - I really like how Barret was sort of sucking up the whole time, but not in a whiny sort of way. He comes across as really in awe of Jericho, lol. I love it. He seems to have some good mic skills.

CM Punk/Darren Young - All I can really say is that I love the idea of a party guy being paired with Punk. My prediction is that he has a losing streak for a while until he is "saved" by Punk and shaves off that hair and gets a new demeanor.

David Otunga/R-Truth - Totally botched his finisher, but his gimmick, look, and personality are all good. I'll give the guy a chance.

Slater/Christian - I do want to punch slater as well, but he has an entertaining vibe about him...and I don't remember any mistakes in his match. Decent wrestler so far.

Bryan/Miz - Great high point of the show between these two, and Daniel excelled vs. Jericho. Jericho was so great in the match at selling the submission DB used...so awesome. The high spot definitely ruled as well (the suicide dive into the table). Tap or Snap will definitely catch on!!!
    ------
    I forgot to add: Tarver seems awesome in the ring, and I really enjoy his mma/boxing style. I think it will stick, and *so far,* second only to Bryan, I can picture him on RAW or SD! at some point.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010