• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nursing Homes

Dabs

Registered Member
Have you ever had a family member or someone you knew, who had to spend time in a nursing home? Did you visit them? Most of the nursing homes I have seen, are so terrible, it makes me heart sink. A lot of people are put in them homes and forgotten. I could understand if there were no family left to come see them, but some of them do have families, but yet, they are left alone.
And some of the homes are horrible as far as the smell, the overall care, some places are under staffed, and some even have nurses who shouldn't be nurses!
I have been to nursing homes to visit a couple of people, and even befriended another resident in the process. But there is no way I would ever want anyone I was close to, to end up in a place like that. Some of the residents I have talked to, say they feel forgotten. And they are mistreated. And I know that for some families, there is no other choice, but gosh, nursing homes are just such sad places. So, have you been to one?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've never had a family member in one, but I had to do clinicals there last spring. It was pretty horrible as far as the care people receive. The thing is, CNAs don't get paid very much, especially in proportion to the type of work they are asked to do. It's really not right if you ask me.

Shwa is a CNA, he could tell you all about it.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My social work internship for school (300 hours last semester, doing 300 this semester) has been at one. It's a great location, I think they provide really good care all around.

You can see some depressing stories, and some really uplifting and positive ones. It really depends person-to-person. When you're there often, you get past all of the common Nursing Home phobias that people see and you're able to see all of the good that's around.

I've seen some CNAs come and go that are sketchy, but I know a lot that are truly caring and good at what they do. I do agree that they should be paid more, their work is critical.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
My grandpa was in one towards the end of his life and I didn't think it was an all that bad of a place. I did my social service project there when I was in high school and the folks are well taken care of. Granted there are some residents who are forgotten by their loved ones but that's not the actual nursing homes fault...it's just a shame they don't have anybody to visit them.

Hell, the place my grandpa was at had free ice cream so it was okay in my book!

redroses

Registered Member
my great gran was in one, my gran visited her alot, along with the rest of the family that lived near by, and aas for us a little further away we would visit when we could, the place was lovely tbh, the staff were very nice too. i think nursing homes are getting a bad rap atm because of all the horror stories but they arent all the same, and if the right people are there then i think they can be good places, i think the people that abuse patients and steal from them are sick individuals and i hope that they are the minority of careers and that most who do the job are there to help people not abuse them

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My grandmother lived in a retirement home/community type place until she died, but that's different than a nursing home. My other grandparents lived in their own house until they died. I remember visiting my mom's aunt at a nursing home when I was little kid. She had Alzheimer's. Seemed like a really depressing place.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It's not even necessarily abuse or purposeful neglect at some of the long-term care facilities, it's that the CNAs have such a heavy work load that they can't spend the proper time with each patient because they have so much work to do.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I got expelled from school in 6th grade, and was given the choice of getting set back a year and remaining in mainstream, or getting sent to an alternative school and move forward. I chose alternative school.

Anyways, as part of the 'rehabilitation' one of the social workers gathered up a few us each Wednesday and we went out to a retirement home to play bowling with the elders. It really wasn't bad, and I agree, CNA's definitely have their work cut out for them. In fact they were relieved to see us every Wednesday. While we took on some bowlers they were allowed to go give other patients care and attention. They definitely did not sit around, they were always busy and had responsibilities to take care of.

I live with my grandma, and she's only 71. She's overweight for her age and has a weak bladder. I clean urine and feces off the floor every day, but she's far from a nursing home. She's more social and on the move than I am. The day will probably come that she will need to be sent to one, but for now she's got me and auntie to watch over her. My aunt manages all her pills by doses/days because she almost died misreading labels. I do all the lifting, moving, carrying, and laundry (she has a bad back and I don't want her using basement steps). In a way I am a jr. NA! I very hope to be in a relationship and financially stable in the next 5 years though, ready to move out on my own. When that happens, her other children will have to step in and make sure she's getting the care she deserves.

Puck

Registered Member
Have you ever had a family member or someone you knew, who had to spend time in a nursing home? Did you visit them? Most of the nursing homes I have seen, are so terrible, it makes me heart sink. A lot of people are put in them homes and forgotten. I could understand if there were no family left to come see them, but some of them do have families, but yet, they are left alone.
And some of the homes are horrible as far as the smell, the overall care, some places are under staffed, and some even have nurses who shouldn't be nurses!
I have been to nursing homes to visit a couple of people, and even befriended another resident in the process. But there is no way I would ever want anyone I was close to, to end up in a place like that. Some of the residents I have talked to, say they feel forgotten. And they are mistreated. And I know that for some families, there is no other choice, but gosh, nursing homes are just such sad places. So, have you been to one?
Would you want to take on the responsibility yourself, knowing you wouldn't be able to fully care for them in the way they needed, medically or otherwise? I know it's hard but sometimes it's the best way. You just have to make sure you find a place suitable to their needs and visit as much as possible to be able to assess the kind of care they're recieving.

My granny was in a nursing home the last few weeks of her life and honestly, she recieved even better care there then she did at the retirement home she lived in. They were so kind and gentle with her and with us. Though we couldn't be there every day, we got phone updates about her the days we weren't there. Aslong as you do your research and talk to the doctors/nurses that will be caring for your loved ones, I think nursing homes can be great. I'd rather that than have them in my home where I know for a fact that I can't give them the kind of care they'll need. You also have to make the committment to go visit as much as possible, which is half the battle.

I have had family in nursing homes. I did visit them. I could have seen them more often, but chose not too. I think that they are not an ideal situation and should only be used if there isn't an alternative.